Vintage Modified Jazz Bass review by Squier

Squier: Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

I am a beginner bass player, just switching over after playing electric guitar for 14+ years. It seems versatile, with the "slap" Switch really kicking the active pickups into seriosu funk mode. I compared the bass to a VM Jazz 4 string without active pickups, and to a simialr Fender Jazz, and really found that the active electronics made a difference.

Music-wise, I like rock/metal and funk/hiphop, and this bass has a nice standout tone, along with the slap Switch to realyl let you stand out when playing. I have been shopping for a bass for almost a year now, and never got excited about any other bass like this one. I decided to go with the 5 string in order to give more tonal options. Overall, a great bass.

The guitar seems sturdy, it is very neck heavy, and the neck is very wide, even for a 5 string. the fretboard is gorgeous though, and I haven't found a single fret buzz. The fretboard looked very smooth, and for sucha wide neck, it helps out a lot with letting you move up and down the neck fast.

The action seems reasonable, I did notice a few scratches on the neck, but I believe they were due to demo usage. The biggest flaw was that the pickups seem to have a bit of hiss at high tone settings, but it wasn't drastically higher than similar basses. The bass does have two single coil pickups as well, so the hiss is to be at least partially expected.

The model I bought is a 2007 Heritage sunburst with no pickguard 5 string with active pickups. the bnody is basswood, the neck is maple with an artificial ebony fretboard that looks stunning. Controls-wise it has a tone, volume, and slap Switch to really put the active pickups into an agressive mode.

LordArbiter
    I own this bass and it rocks. I'ts just as good as the basic model Fenders. I've had it over a year and it sounds awesome. The pickups sound awesome, they've got some great bite to them. It's extremely versatile. I play in a cover band and I have gigged with this bass and I've played everything from classic rock to hard rock/grunge/alternative, even instrumental hip hop. This bass has never let me down. Squiers of the Vintage Modified line are excellent instruments on the cheap. They need some more TLC than their more expensive Fender brethren, but they are just as capable once they are set up. The long and short of it...if you get one, set it up immidiately and get a case for it. Don't leave it lying around. At very least get a stand. The people most disappointed by Squier are probably those who needlessly abuse their instruments.
    Thelonious
    Ive already ordered this bass, my 2nd bass, and all these reviews and comments have given me this warm, smug feeling deep down in my chest for deciding to do so. Thanks guys!
    insurgentsteve
    Mads B
    AndrogynousMind wrote: Serjem wrote: indeed, nice guitar, but once i hear the "SQUIER" name.. i automaticly start to think like; omg this sucx.. the neck's gonna brake, the pickups are gonna get fooked up.. etc =) i don't know why do i think that way... probably coz i read too much stuff on forums or whatevah =) SERJEM=) Idiot.My squier strat cost 120euro and it is excellent.Squier will not let you down just because they are copies.
    120 that's a cheap bass guitar! Well a Silvertone cost's the same and a silvertone is come kind of cheap shit!
    axis56
    im seriously considering buying this and a roland cube 30 amp wise idea?
    Anjohl
    I based the review off what I needed the bass for, mine was a starter bass, and it sounded head and SHOULDERS above every other squier I played. I personally thought the tone was much better than 1/3rd a fender american standard, and the workmanship seems just fine. That in my opinion is a 9. And to axis56, roland cube 30's are beautiful, just make sure you get the newest one's available. For example, the guitar cube was redesigned for 2008 and has a lot more features.
    HighPotency
    insurgentsteve wrote: how can you give a squier a 9.4 and 9 rating?! so like a les paul would have to be a 16 or something? i dont trust the UG rating scale at all.
    I think you just have a mindset that any guitar/bass/amp or whatever is rated is going to have the same comparison scale. If you're getting a squier, it's probably not because you're pro. For what it is, people will rate it. That's why this bass could have the same rating as a fender strat. You just take into consideration all the factors about what it's for.
    Anjohl
    Exactly high potency, it's realtive to your need. in my eyes,a beginner's bass should start at a 6 rating, and anything unacceptable will eb rated lower, anything with cool features, or a good vlaue will rank higher accordingly. The 5 string jazz VM is a great bass because it has active pickups, 5 strings, and an artificial ebony fretboard for under $300. That has to count for a LOT.
    Pourquoi?
    LordArbiter wrote: I own this bass and it rocks. I'ts just as good as the basic model Fenders. I've had it over a year and it sounds awesome. The pickups sound awesome, they've got some great bite to them. It's extremely versatile. I play in a cover band and I have gigged with this bass and I've played everything from classic rock to hard rock/grunge/alternative, even instrumental hip hop. This bass has never let me down.
    Completly agree. I've had this bass about four months now and gigged with it. It really impressed me how good it was, as I was planning on forking out more for a proper Fender but in the end went with this and saved the cash for a better guitar. Great bass, especially when the price is taken into account.
    bass_ownage
    yea i love mine. it makes me want to throw my gsr200 out the window.but no matter how much i hate a bass i could never abuse one
    seljer