Vintage Modified Jazz Bass review by Squier

Squier: Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Purchased from: Sam Ash

I play in a prog-rock band with only one guitarist, so I was looking for a bass that would jump out of the mix rather than sit back in the deeper end and this bass does just that. I play the bass through a Fender Rumble 60 bass amplifier, and by tweaking the controls on the amplifier I can go from a heavy and deep bass sound to something much higher with a few adjustments to the high and low end settings. The pickups are an upgrade over the usual Squier bass pickups, but they aren't as great as the Fender pickups on the American series of basses. Overall, the bass provides a wide range of sounds that would fit with a lot of different types of music.

The Squier Modified Jazz Bass would make a good fit for anyone playing any kind of music. The range of tones you can get from it is wide ranging and allows for some creativity with your bass sound that some basses don't really allow. I've only been playing bass for a few months but I've played guitar for 8 years. This is definitely a great bass to start with or a great bass for someone Who doesn't want to spend a fortune on a decent instrument. Don't be afraid of the Squier name with this bass because if you replaced the decal on the headstock with a Fender decal, no one would ever know the difference. I would definitely buy this bass again if it were lost or stolen and absolutely recommend this bass to anyone Who asked.

I've used the bass at a few shows since I bought it, and it held up well. Any sweat that I got on the finish wiped right off and the hardware still looks alright after the guitar took a tumble to the ground once or twice. I replaced the strap-buttons with Schaller strap locks immediately after I got the bass home, which I'd recommend for anyone playing any gigs with any guitar. The one little thing I've noticed about it is that the neck will ding very easily since it is a softer wood, but that's not really a huge problem in my opinion. Just keep it safe and this bass should last you a long time.

When I purchased the bass, I had one of the techs at Sam Ash set it up for me at the store, which took about 15 minutes. He lowered the action a bit and spent a few minutes adjusting the bridge and neck. As I mentioned before, the body on one of the models at the store had some knots in it, and the associate at Sam Ash mentioned that a few of those basses that also had knots in the body, but otherwise the finish looked nice on mine. Beyond that everything seemed very good out of the box.

The Modified Jazz Bass I purchased was new, and made in Indonesia in 2009. The bass features a bolt on maple neck and c-shape fret board complete with the Geddy Lee-esque black box inlays. The body of the guitar is made of maple and has a simple lacquer finish over the natural maple look. The pickups are 2 Duncan Designed JB101 pickups, and there are 2 tone knobs and 1 volume knob as is standard on Jazz basses. The hardware is also all chrome. The body of my bass didn't contain any noticeable knots in the wood, but there was one on the floor at Sam Ash with a big knot on the front and back of it, which is a blemish that you may or may not chose to overlook, so if you want to make sure your bass doesn't have a knot in it it's probably best for you to check out the bass in person. There are many upgrades and differences between the Modified Jazz Bass and its cheaper Squier counterparts, and I think the extra price you pay is worth it. The upgraded pickups and the unique maple neck with black inlays make this a decent buy at a still affordable price.

The Geddy Flea
    Dont worry, people think Squier is bad only because some "guitar snobs" who are loaded with cash, and have only played the top of the line model made by Gibson, Fender, PRS, or whatever ritzy company, complained that it dosent have the brand name on the head-stock and have asumed that since it dosent cost at least 2000$ its automatically bad. Which is not so not true, i only buy Squier and Epiphone and I'd compare my basses to any Gibson or Fender any day of the week.
    Demonbass92
    i bought this bass yesterday after trying it out 3 times in a shop (all in all about 45 mins worth of palying!) and from that and playing at home, this bass is worth every single penny! Brilliant sound, i can only really describe it as 'clear' sound (not the sludgy horrible muted sound that you get on some basses). Brilliant to look at, nice to play, fast neck, great duncan designed pickups. A great bass for anyone and any style of playing!
    Swannie
    I love this bass. I use it for very ranging sounds. Funk, Iron Maiden, psychedelic... it sounds great no matter what i throw at it. The neck is awesomely smooth. I have played it straight up next to much more expensive fenders and the slap sound the Duncan-designed pickups in this one is so much more powerful and cuts through way better. Also, it just looks pure awesome. The block inlays and natural finish are great. It holds up well to a lot of abuse and it stays in tune amazingly well. I use it with a Peavey TKO 115 and it sounds great. An accomplished bassist friend of mine started playing this and was in awe that it was a Squier. Since buying this, I have had my faith in Squier restored. Oh, and it's got an awesome 2-piece body. Buy it.
    hak_hap
    cleft11 wrote: the vintage basses have an older and rarer wood, meaning they cost more. i think, im pretty sure though. the regular ones use pretty common woods though.
    that is absolutely wrong in any way *lol* ...this vintage bass has a maple body...
    hak_hap
    zinsane wrote: What about installing SD Quarter Pound pickups into this bass?
    no one could ever help you decide that. If money doenst matter to you buy fender jazz bass pickups. If money does matter Id suggest not to get any new pickups but instead buy something else you need
    DaveDangerous
    A very good model, only bettered by the Squier Vintage/Classic Vibe James Johnson for about 50 more- basically the same except for a basswood body. It speaks volumes that a lot of UK stores have run out of stock of this and most vintage models..must be doing something right then.
    The Geddy Flea
    A really awesome BASS!! I did some looking around before I bought. I was looking at an Epi thunder bird, a bottom line Fender P-bass and even the Epi EB-3. But I went with this one beceause the value.. The action on it is a dream and the tone I get out of this thing is legendary. And I Would argue that this 400dollar SQUIER is better than the 700 dollar FENDER I was looking at