Vintage Modified Jazz Bass review by Squier

Squier: Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Purchased from: Soundslive (Newcastle)

I play mostly rock, metal and Indie styles and I have to say, this bass is perfect. I use a very basic Hiwatt Hurricane 15w amp at home and Peavey amps at shows, all of which it sounds great on. The sound is great whether you play slap, fingerstyle or pick. The sound is always crisp, and is rich with both pickups. The pickups give gut variety but not as much as some other basses.

Like I said earlier, It sounds great whatever I play (it suits Iron Maiden just as much as the Arctic Monkeys and Fall out Boy). I have only owned one other bass but I have played countless others for long periods of time, and sounds great compared to other Squires and Fenders, and is a whole other league to my Tanglewood Rebel. I have no regrets, I would buy it again in a heartbeat, and prefer it to all of the others I have played and compared it to.

The bass is built to last for a long time - other instruments I have had marked at the slightest knock, but with me being as clumsy as I am I am surpised that after a lot of big knocks it isn't marked. The strap buttons won't budge and I would definately use this bass without a backup.

The action could be a bit lower but mine is still perfectly playable. Everything else was amazing - I can hardly find fault with it. The tuners stick sometimes, but very rarely and it is easily fixed. The metal fret bars stick up a tiny bit, and this can catch your fingers. Aside from those two, like I said I can't find fault with it.

This bass is a re-issue of the '77 jazz bass. It was made in Indonesia in 2006, like others have said. It has 20 medium - jumbo frets and a 34" scale. The body is Agathis and the neck and fretboard are maple, with pearl rectangle inlays. It has two volume and one tone control knobs (taken off a strat)It has two single coil Duncan Designed JB101 pickups. I got mine with a gig bag, but that wasn't standard.