Vintage Modified Jazz Bass review by Squier

Squier: Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Price paid: € 400

Purchased from: crowleys cork

This bass doesnt't really suit my style, I mainly play hard rock. I'm using it through an Ampeg BA600/115. The pickups are weak and really designed just to slap which isnt much use to me. I find it doesnt't go well with distortion, but would be good for light blues or jazz.

I like this bass although it doesnt't suit my style. I usually don't like the look of jazz basses but this one is very good looking. If it were stolen lost I would go out and buy an Epiphone thunderbird pro iv because thatd suit my style much better. I would reccomend this as a first bass as it was very easy to learn on and sounded quite nice even out of crap amps. I compared it to mexican jazz basses and found this to be much much better.

This bass is very, very sturdy and would survive heavy gigging easily. The bridge would need to be replaced if you were going to gig properly though. I would gig without a backup with it. The finish is a laminated top and will stand the test of time.

The factory setup was crap has to adjust everything (string height, pickup height). The strings on the bass were horrible. The bridge on this bass is its major flaw as it buzzes is difficult to adjust, doesnt't feel strong and I can tell this bass would sound much better with something like a stronger badass bass II bridge.

2009 indonesia made. 20 frets (I think). Medium jumbo frets, maple fretboard. Natural finish. Terrible Squier Fender style bridge. Passive duncan designed pickups. V,V,T controls. The tuners are strong and this bass doesnt't go out of tune that easily.

jjthom
    The Geddy Flea wrote: Dont worry, people think Squier is bad only because some "guitar snobs" who are loaded with cash, and have only played the top of the line model made by Gibson, Fender, PRS, or whatever ritzy company, complained that it dosent have the brand name on the head-stock and have asumed that since it dosent cost at least 2000$ its automatically bad. Which is not so not true, i only buy Squier and Epiphone and I'd compare my basses to any Gibson or Fender any day of the week.
    I completely agree
    emaper
    I've the Vintage Modified 77' Jazz Bass. Is the black version of this. Is really cool!
    MaggaraMarine
    Squier and Epiphone gets hate because their cheapest models are... cheap. You get what you pay for but the more expensive models are better and the price/quality ratio of Squiers and Epiphones is better than Fender's or Gibson's. People hate things because they only try the cheapest ones and expect them to be better than they are. And then there are those trolls and guys who say that something sucks (without even trying it) because somebody other says it sucks.
    MaggaraMarine
    Damn cool looking bass. I would maybe want to buy a bass because I'm a guitarist but in a band I play bass and I have to use my friend's bass (it's also Squier but the P-bass version).
    jjthom
    I have played this bass today, It was amazing, and surprizing. It is comparab;e to an american J bass.