Vintage Modified Jazz Bass review by Squier

Squier: Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Purchased from: GuitarGuitar Birmingham

As said before I play Slap, Funk, Punk and Hard Rock. Simply blending, turning down or isolating one pickup fits all of theses sounds and I can imagine it does good for others. I use this amp at gigs with a Peavey Databass Combo. The amp is very loud and noisy but I get a rich, fat tone out of both pickups on and sounds very nice with the tone up. Sounds very full and sits in the mix well with both pickups. The neck pickup sounds very nice and Vintage with the tone up full and the bridge with no tone gives a nice rich, but flat sound which I like. This Bass has very versatile range of tones.

This Bass is perfect for my type of music and any other types. It's so versatile! Been playing now for around 14 months and I own another Bass (Yamaha BB350) which is different in tonal quality but still great. I love the look of this Bass and for the price I couldn't ask for a better Bass!

I've had this since January when it was released and has been my main gigging Bass since. It's been handed about, knocked, chipped and played thoroughly but it's stood high over my other basses and I would always pick it. The hardware is very durable and reliable and I would only change it if had serious marks ad scratches as I like good condition. The strap hasn't fell off yet and they are very good buttons that balance the Bass well. I've used it at gigs without a backup for 7 months and it's been fine. I have now started taking a back up though. It looks to last me for a long while!

The action was good but could of been lower. After a tweak I've got it very low but no frets buzzing and it is a joy to play. I didn't have to change pickup height as they were in a great position already. Bridge and hardware were routed correctly and the finish was brilliant. It had no flaws and it was simply out of the box, plug in and play!

My Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass is the new 2011 version, made in Indonesia, with a Basswood Body, Maple Neck, Rosewood Fingerboard and like any other Vintage Modified Bass, it has Duncan Designed Pickups. It has 20 frets. The neck is nice and slim as Jazz Basses should be and I can literally glide along the fretboard with Flatwounds on. The frets aren't sharp at all and are very nice sizes and nice to play. The neck also has a Skunk Stripe which is a nice touch. The body is Basswood unlike the 70's style which is Maple. It is very sturdy and strong but not at all heavy. The body has a nice grain and is finished in a gorgeous 3-Tone Sunburst. The finish is pretty good and only chips when beaten to an extent. I've knocked it on a sharp corner quite hard and couldn't find a mark. The Pickups are great, very versatile with a range of tones. I play slap and funk basslines, switching octaves a lot and it sounds great. I also play hard rock and punk and it's great for that too. The tuners and hardware on this Bass are great, Chrome keeps it's Shine and only a few scratches on the neckplate. I have had one incident where the tuning peg for the G has came off but that was replaced by Squier and haven't had any problems since.