Vintage Modified Jazz Bass review by Squier

Squier: Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Excellent sound! And I mean it. A very good sound all around. As I said before, this is more a bright sounding bass, so if you want a darker sounding one, you may look for another bass. I like its neck pup better than a P Bass pup, because it has a more round, fuller sound, unlike the p pup that has a tad more attack, but sound a little sterile to me. Also, you can combine the two pups, so you can get a nice low end, with some extra sparkling tone, where you can get more from your fingers hitting the strings (that little clicky sound...). With the bridge pup you lose low end but you get a lot more highs, that for me needs the master tone to be rolled a little down so it doesn't become harsh. I don't usually use the bridge pup alone. I'm using this bass through a Fender M80 (160 watts) and it really shines. As I said before, I am not too experienced, though it think this bass can suit (another obviousness) jazz and blues. But I use it for rock, too. It takes metal very well also. But I think that a decent bass with some fine EQing can do any style, this bass while add a little brightness while maintaining a round full sound (specially with the neck pup). I also packs a nice slap sound, but for that I think t depends more on the player than on the bass. Overall an excellent sounding bass, I couldn't find any other better sounding than this on it's price range.

I think this is and excellent starter bass, and it goes deep into intermediate territory. Many people say they can compete with mexican fenders, though I couldn't try for myself so far. I let you know if I can. As said before, I also own a Yamaha RBX650, and I like this jazz bass better, mainly for it's sound. I'd like to reiterate that I am a beginner bassist, so that you know where this review comes from. All the ratings has been pointed considering it's price: I know it is not a 10 in sound compared to a MIA Fender, it just is the better sounding bass on it's price range I my opinion. The only doubt I still have is which is better if this or a classic vibe. I think this sounds better, but I couldn't compare both of them side by side yet. If it were stolen, I think I'd try to compare both and then decide which is better, but I think this is better looking, and I don't like basswood so much, so I think this may be my choice. I'd would buy a Japanese or American Fender Jazz if I could, though. But I think I would definitely buy it again. I compared this to: SX Jazz bass VJB 75, to other Squier Jazz and Precision models (almost all of them), Yamaha RBX series, Washburn Taurus, Ibanez GSR200, Cort Action DLX. I couldn't try Peaveys though. However, this was the best of them. I think my favorite features are this black block inlays and the fretboard binding (I saw that the VM Precision that's natural finish has no binding and makes the maple neck look awfully cheap). I don't like the nut, but that has been explaint before. I'd like it to have 24 frets so I get two octaves, but it wouldn't be a classic bass if it had them, and it's not like I need those extra frets so badly. Overall a very recommendable bass. I'd like to say that if you are about to buy a Squier, but can't afford to buy this one, you should wait a little so you can get this. Truly there's a lot of difference between the affinity or he standard series, and this one. You won't regret it. I'll give this a nine. Just because it can't be perfect.

I would definitely gig with this. It seems sturdy, though it is almost new so I can't honestly tell. I think it is very well built, and I won't be having any better bass soon so I will gig with these. And when I get a better bass, I think I'll take this as a very nice bak up bass. For now I also own a Yamaha RBX 650 that I could use as a back up if I had some way to take it to the gig. But I think I can depend on this. Strap buttons are solid, and as far as the finish, I haven't knocked it yet (hopefully, I'll never do) but I think that if it gets a ding, it wouldn't be much noticeable since it has a natural finish... The hardware seems good enough, the bridge works nicely, but I don't know why, I don't see it lasting a centenary... However I might (and hope) be wrong. I'd like not to rate this, since I can't really tell, but I'll give it a seven because I think it will last some years but not forever...

The set up from the factory was ok. The truss rod needed some relief, but the action was good enough (lowered t a very little bit, though). It has some fret buzz, particularly on the A string, but only when you pluck pretty hard, and my bass theacher agrees that it is a normal and expectable fret buzz. The pickups were ok, though I evened (does that word exist? English isn't my first language...) them, cause they were a very little unbalanced. The intonation was perfect, ut I had to be modified to match the other changes I made. There was nothing bad, no dead or sharp frets, the neck and bridge had no problems, etc. So, considering I did some changes, but it was pretty much ok.

Bought new, so it was made in 2011. - Maple neck, maple fretboard, 20 medium frets, black block inlays and black binding (that looks very nice) in a 34" scale. - Soft Maple body (also very nice), obviously jazz bass type. - Polyurethane natural finish. - Chrome hardware: standard 4 saddle bridge, and Vintage tuners. - S/S jazz bass pickup configuration. "Duncan Designed" pickups. Passive electronics. 3 control knobs: one volume knob for each pickup, and a master tone control. - No accessories included. Regrettably, I am not an experienced player, so there will be some aps throughout this review though I hope it will helpful. I personally liked the pickups and the soft maple body that, in my opinion, gives he bass some extra brightness, compared to other jazz basses in it's price range. I love the black block inlays, the neck's binding, and the black pickguard. When I was looking for a bass to buy, the one that was competing with this one was a Washburn Taurus, but I ended up with this because I thought the Washburn was a little dark sounding for me. The only thing I don't like too much is the nut, since it's plastic-y and doesn't look too reliable when I saw it when changing strings. This was the best bass I tried, and I gave a try to a lot other basses on it's price range. I also prefer jazz basses over precisions, because I think they are a little more versatile, and I like the neck pup's sound better on jazz's than on precision's. Overall, a great bass. It could have come with a gigbag and a strap (fender's site says it comes with a gigbag, though I wasn't given any) hence a little less points.

Sudaka
    Damn!, just re read my review and there's quite a lot of letters missing... like a t for "the" a G for "gap" etc. hope you people don't mind.