Vintage Modified Jazz Bass review by Squier

Squier: Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Price paid: C$ 200

Purchased from: long and mcquade

This was my first bass. I play in a fast sorta skater punk band. I like to have a clicky, high mid slightly overdriven punk tone. I use a pick. This bass wasn't bad at all for this kind of tone. I'm a big fan of that jazz bass bridge pickup and it's one of the handful of things that makes me a jazz bass kinda guy. You gotta love a good PBass but having that extra bright attack from a jazz bass's bridge pickup is where it's at for me. When I bought this bass I swapped out the bridge pickup and replaced it with a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound. Literally ripped out the neck pickup and removed the volume knob. Back then I never used the neck pickup and it got in the way of all the stickers I wanted to put on it ahaha. Even though my bands tunes are for the most part pretty happy sounding, I would describe my bass playing as aggressive and melodic. I used this bass through my rig which is essentially a Tech 21 Sansamp RBI through a Fender Bassman 410 and a Mesa Powerhouse 212. The bass is pretty noisy but I suspect that has to do with the fact that I did not in any way properly remove the neck pickup. It's a pretty bright bass. I use RotoSound Swing 66 strings, the heavy gauge ones. Jazz basses are pretty well rounded basses. Having 2 pickups is always a good thing and I feel like you could dial in many tones with this bass. I've since replaced main bass duties with a Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass which I also reviewed on here. So compared to my Fender, it isn't quite as impressive when it comes to sound, versatility and overall feel. But certainly a good buy for the money.

At the end of the day, after about 3 years of service I went and bought myself an American Fender as this bass was starting to make me nervous. I love this bass and I'll never get rid of it But when compared to my Fender, the durability and sound lacks. This bass makes a great beginner or backup bass though and I would highly recommend it to someone who wants to start playing bass, especially punk rock. There are certain things about it that I love so much though that I wish my Fender had. That can be read on my review of the Fender that I made on here. If someone stole it it would be hilarious because no one would buy it. I purposely painted it to look like shit. But I would consider buying another one as a backup. I would also look at other Squiers as well if I had to buy a new backup bass. Possibly a CV Jazz or the VM Jag with the single humbucker. When I listen to the older recordings of my band with this bass, and compare them to the newer recordings done with my Fender, there is a noticeable difference and to me my Fender owns hands down. But I'm comparing this bass to a 2000 dollar bass which isn't really fair. Check out my band The Rowley Estate on Bandcamp. All the tracks from the "Still T.R.E." album were recorded with the Squier and everything else was recorded with my Fender.

The guitar lasted me a while and my band recorded our first demo and full length with it. However, I did replace it for a reason. Strap buttons were falling out fairly often, electronics began getting a bit sketchy. The neck needs to be adjusted now as it's become a little bowed over the last couple years. To be fair, I've put this bass through HELL. Played many shows, painted it, switched out pickups. I'm not standing still at shows either. A lot of jumping and running and beer getting split and stuff like that happens at our shows. But still for a bass I had only had for 3 years I feel like it should be holding it's own a LITTLE better. I still use this bass a lot. Mainly at practice to preserve the strings on my Fender and often when writing. I take this bass on every tour and to every show as a backup.

This bass was set up very well from the factory. I really feel like Squier has upped their game in the last few years. I also considered buying the Vintage Modified Precision Bass but it just didn't compare. The wood is better on this bass and the fact that at the end of the day I just prefer a jazz bass decided that for me. I'm a huge fan of the way this bass looks. I LOVE the maple fretboard and black block inlays. I love the finish and black pickguard. The Fender I bought to replace this bass is basically the same at first glance having a very similar appearance. There's a reason I bought that Fender and it's mostly because it was a nicer version of this bass. This bass had a beautiful grain on it, even though I eventually hand painted it surf green. I had to reposition the ground wire after a few months. Nothing too crazy.

I'm unsure when this bass was made but I bought it new in 2008. On the back of the headstock it says "Crafted in Indonesia". 20 frets. To my understanding, the bass is made out of some kind of maple. Maple neck and fretboard with the awesome black block inlays. The finish on this bass when I bought it was just the natural Maple that was clear coated. Regular Jazz Bass shape. Standard bridge with the strings feeding through the front. Passive Duncan Designed pickups. Volume knob for each pickup as well as a master tone knob. Standard open gear tuners. Nothing included.

ryan.waggoner.7
    Just got my grubby little hands on one of these. Ordered the traditional black plastic J knobs for it. Plays like a friggin dream. It's sitting on the rack right next to my $1100 American hot rodded P, and can certainly play in the same ballpark, which is damn impressive. Good job, Squier.