Vintage Modified Jazz Bass Fretless review by Squier

Squier: Vintage Modified Jazz Bass Fretless

Price paid: A$ 549

Purchased from: Allans Music

My music stlye is basically Funk, Metal, rock, and Jazz. As you can imagine, it fits all of these styles, except perhaps some aspects of metal. It has a great punchy, thumping sound, which can become warm, and jazzy through one twist of the tone knob. No buzz, no EQ problems, no noise, just pure bass. The tone of this thing is just amazing for the price. I think the pickups are a key point in this. At the shop, just for a laugh, I compared it to a Fender Standard Fretless Jazz Bass, and struggled to tell the difference in sound quality and feel. The only difference was about $2000 on the price tag. I've had it for a while, gigged with it, and still sounds as new as it did when I plugged it in for the first time. The fretless neck means you can make it really sound like a double bass, and it just sounds brilliant, especially for slapping.

This Bass is palyed alongside my Ibanez SR400, and my Traben Phoenix 5-string. I use a Fender Rumble 100 bass amplifier, as well as a Zoom B2\.1U effects pedal and Russian Big Muff Pi distortion pedal. It works really well with all of these, and whenever I feel like laying down anything funky, jazzy, or just pure sounding, I reach for the Jazz before anything else. If someone stole it, they would sleep in fear. If I couldn't get it back, I would buy it again. And again. And again.

This guitar has been played Live, without backup, and come out on top everytime. The hardware is sturdy, no problems at all so far (6 months is how long i've had it). The fretboard s showing the tiniest bit of wear, but considering I'm not using flatwound strings (I should be, I know) its great. No problems here.

The fingerboard is the nicest I've ever felt, the fretless neck is like silk on my fingers. The action was a little high for me, but if you read any of my other reviews, you'll find the action is always too high for me. Other than that, setup was perfect, everything is just where it should be, no complaints at all. Finish is great looking, nicks and scratches don't show up on it.

This is the Fretless version of the Vintage Modified Jazz Bass by Squier. It has no pickguard (good for me, I would have taken it off immediately if there had been) with a Sunburst finish. Body/neck is a typical Jazz bass style, with 20 frets. Passive electronics, with 2 Duncan Designed(tm) jazz-style pickups. It has two Volume controls (for the two pickups) and a general tone control. The body is Agathis, neck is maple, fretboard is ebonol, with fretlines as inlays. The bridge is a standard saddle bridge. I got a gig bag with it, courtesy of the seller at Allans Music.

SupersonicJSX
    Angrypacman
    SupersonicJSX wrote: I always seem to play this bass whenever I walk into guitar center. one of these days I'm going to buy it, because I love playing it.
    I thoroughly reccommend you do
    SupersonicJSX
    I would buy it, if I had the money, but Im working on getting a better guitar amp. That is more of a need than a want. A bass for me right now is a want.
    DaniArrow
    Great fretless Bass. Has the Jaco Feel to it somehow. Plays and sounds very nice!