Vintage Modified Jazz Bass V review by Squier

• Users' score: 8 (1 vote)
Squier: Vintage Modified Jazz Bass V

Price paid: € 425

Purchased from: Thomann.de

This instrument delivers you everything for what are classic Fender basses known. Standard two Fender designed single coil pick ups, passive electronics with two volume knobs and one tone control knob. Body, neck and the fretboard were all made from maple wood. The neck profile is modern C (which fits todays standard I think), high gloss finish, 20 frets, 34" scale and a typical Fender bridge mounting five strings. It's hard to write anything more about the jazz bass because it's hard to not know what the JBs stand for! You either love it or hate it!

The two Fender designed pickups do their job giving you a strong, bassy near the neck and bright near the bridge sound. They provide strong signal and knobs stay silent during tone adjustments. The sound works perfectly well with SansAmp, just as expected. Like every Fender/Squier bass this one needs bridge upgrade in the future but you can already feel that its overall heaviness provides already good, strong and long sustain. This bass just sounds good, sits in the mix and cuts through it as well!

In spite of getting exactly what I was expecting from the bass itself I was really disappointed by the amount of adjustment it needed. First of all I had to change one or two screws because the original ones were totally worn out, that's not what should happen while buying a new instrument. After that the bass still needed a lot of neck, bridge and pickups adjustment. I bought a four stringed vintage mod. Precision Bass about four years ago from the same shop and it came almost perfectly set up so this time I am disappointed for sure.

After all the adjustment I've done this guitar became really comfortable and powerful sounding. It's heavy and looks so solid that I am sure it will serve well for next ten or more years of touring and recording. I know that I should upgrade the bridge in the near future but it already sustains pretty well. My other bass from this series (which I mentioned in the last paragraph) works really well after having it for about four years so I believe this one will stand the time at least as good as its older brother.

This bass fits perfectly for the music I play - from classical music jams, through pop, punk, hardcore to deathcore... but let's be clear - it's Jazz Bass, it's known for its versatility! This in really one of the best instruments in this price range and despite the condition it has been delivered to me I can surely recommend everyone on budget getting this bass! If it was stolen or so I would definitely get the same bass for the second time (hoping this time it ships to me AT LEAST probably set up!).

Loerdmeister
    A thing about the " Action, Fit & Finish " section, you did buy it from Thomann, meaning it came straight from some warehouse, meaning not polished and fixed as it would've been if someone at a physical music store had sold it to you.
    GATCx1
    My point was that this bass came to me in really bad condition, way worse than a previous ona I bought there. In the review I mentioned things from the obvious ones like bad (REALLY BAD) neck curve and intonation, ridiculous strings height, to things like a few broken screws.
    j_micho
    This depends on where you buy it. I bought mine a couples years ago and the setup was flawless, but I'm guessing the local shop did a proper setup before hanging it in the store.