Vintage Modified Precision Bass review by Squier

Squier: Vintage Modified Precision Bass

Price paid: C$ 290

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

I play Punk and with a pick (mostly Rise Against and Green Day) and this works great for that, (along with my SansAmp VT Bass pedal but that's a different review). It's a P-Bass, so, it sounds like a P-Bass, most of you reading this will probably know what that means. Personally I love the sound, even when I'm not using the pedal it sounds great, very clean, not muddy at all. It seems pretty versitile, but I don't change my settings much (usually half low, no mid, full high). It does what I need it to do great, but sound is a personal thing, so play it before you buy it.

If it was somehow lost I would for sure buy another one, I have no complaints except the action, which is fixed with a little patience. I wouldn't say it's better than one of the expensive Fenders, but this will beat any other bass under $1000 in my opinion. P.S. The white with black looks awesome. Simple, but not boring, which is also how I play.

This bass will survive a gig for sure, everything about it seems rock solid, the action being the only issue I have. I've got one of those Planet Waves locking straps (which is great) so I don't need to worry about stap locks, but the buttons seem good, like I said, everything's rock solid. I play it usually a couple hours a day (for nine months now) and it still could pass as Brand New. I would play without a backup, but I've got one, so that's not an issue.

The finish is flawless, except for one big dent that was my fault (again) and it plays great. It has the finish on the neck that's not to thick, which I like (I hate the glossy necks), and its a pretty thin neck, very fast, and easier to play chords on than any other bass I've played. However the action is really high because if its any lower it buzzes, I'm gonna get the truss rod adjusted because I don't know how, and I think that'll fix it.

I got this bass nine months ago as my first bass. MY first, I had been borrowing a few different basses from a couple friends before that, so I wasn't a complete newbie. I looked through all of the basses under $350 on GC and after a month or so I narrowed it down to this or an Epiphone Thunderbird. When I went to my local store I tried out one of each, and the P-Bass won, though I still like the T-Bird and might pick one up in the future. Anyway, it's a pretty simple, no frills P-Bass in white with a black pickguard. Simple. I like simple. The tone knob really changes the sound and the electronics seem pretty good, I haven't had any problems yet, except for a wire I had to resolder, but that was my fault anyway. The pickups are good, or at least, I like them, that's really a personal thing, but the quality is great. You'd probably have to go with one of the $1500 Fenders to get a better one.

The Geddy Flea
    musicology wrote: Squire equals junk. I wish people would understand that. Also, in regards to the wood used, everyone who understands assembly line manufacturing knows that the more corners you cut, the more profit you make, which is how Fender is set up. They use poor grade wood, even worse electronics, and somehow get away with selling garbage to the consumer. And yes, no matter what, the different types of wood make a difference in both sound and sustain. Each wood sample transfer string vibration differently, and holds the vibration differently. For those that disagree, build a bass out of balsa wood and see how well it performs. Don't buy Squier. I used a Squire as my foray into the fretless world, and I replaced the pickups, the bridge, the nut, and eventually the body. I cringe at every Squier I see with their awful wood and poor electronics.
    I disagree, I know a band with 2 guitar players, one of them bought a very high-end, 3500$ PRS, and it was a piece of junk! The bridge has burrs, so he was constabtly breaking strings, and the bridge pickup was all messed up due to very poor wiring by the manufacturer, and he eventually replaced it with a duncan. The other guitar player has a Squier Telecaster and a Epiphone dot Flametop, he was constantly laughed at by the guy with the PRS due to his brad choices. But the Squier and the Epiphne never had any problems and the PRS was nothing but a problem!
    Rancid Ivy
    I'm getting this bass as MY first bass (I've played before, but only with Squier Affinity P-basses), and I was wondering if it would be ok to gig with STOCK. I don,t think i'm going to upgrade it right away, but i'm getting this with a Kustom amp, and I was wondering if I'd be ready to gig with just that Thanks
    MaggaraMarine
    MaggaraMarine
    MaggaraMarine wrote: Isn't the picture wrong? My friend has this and it has natural finish and maple fretboard. Or are there different models of it?
    Now I know that there are two versions of it.
    DaniArrow
    it's worth the money and does its job. for some reason i think the VM jazz bass plays a little better though. still i'd say this one gets the job done, it's a good bass 8/10.
    DaniArrow
    there's the white one with rosewood fretboard and the amber one with maple fretboard.