Vintage Modified Precision Bass TB Review

manufacturer: Squier date: 06/15/2009 category: Bass Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. No bullshit ads, just news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Squier: Vintage Modified Precision Bass TB
 9.2
 8.7
 2,853
review (1) pictures (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Vintage Modified Precision Bass TB Reviewed by: The Paperboy, on june 15, 2009

Purchased from: G.A. Yupanco

Features: First introduced on April 2007. This bass was made in Indonesia with a string thorough design, a basswood body with Ash veneers on the top and back, a powerful Fender designed humbucker in the neck position, four standard open designed machine heads, simple volume and tone knobs for tonal control, and a Vintage styled 2 saddle bridge. The neck is made of solid maple, with 20 medium jumbo frets (maple fretboard), classic "C" shape neck with a polyurethane finish, and a rather wide 1.60" nut width (plastic nut). This bass didn't come with a case, I had to buy one separately. This bass would have been perfect if it only came with a Badass Bass II bridge and a Jazz bass neck; then again, at this price, Who can really complain? // 9

Sound: I run this bass through my laptop with Amplitube SVX on as my preamp (Compressor+ SVT CL+ SVT-810E cab+ Vintage Dynamic20 mic), then to an old SWR Workingman's 15 bass combo amplifier. I use a Boss CE-5 from time to time to add flavor. I also use Rotosound SH-77's (Flatwound). This bass has a powerful and bright pickup that can produce thundering lows with both volume and tone settings at maximum, but just rolling the volume down a bit softens the sound up and gives it a really nice, almost fluid characteristic. Rolling the tone knob down "fattens" up the sound, the lower you go, the fatter it gets. I mainly play Heavy Metal, but I do other genres as well, depending on the needs of the current band/ artist I'm working with. The Vintage TB has such a wide range of tones that I don't even need to Switch effects, all I need to do is either roll down the volume or tone a bit to get a whole new sound. The only tonal problem I've had with this bass is that since this bass has a really powerful neck pickup, the slightest bit of Drive can give it a really driven tone (something I'm not entirely a fan of). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This bass played great out of the box! The only problem I had was with the string height; I like to have my fourth string a little higher than usual, so I had to adjust that a tiny bit. Just as a matter of personal preference; I find the 1.60" nut width a bit wide since I'm used to Jazz bass styled necks (I used to use a Yamaha BBN4III). But all that aside, this instrument's a pretty solid investment, craftsmanship wise, and tone wise. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would definitely use this bass without a backup on stage (dare I even say, on the road!); it's built like an 'effing tank! I've hit my drummers cymbals with it quite hard a few times, and it stayed perfectly in tune. I've also held it up using nothing but the 3rd and 4th strings and it still stayed in tune! // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing the bass for about 10/11 years give or take, and in all my years as a bassist, I've found this particular one to be the only one that's given me a sense of security, just from trying it out at the store. As I've stated above, "it's built like an 'effing tank", and it sounds absolutely fantastic; you'd be hard pressed to find a bass of the same quality under the same price range. If this bass were lost or stolen, I'd first try to track it down. Should I fail, then yes, I would definitely consider buying a replacement. I've compared this product to my own "Yamaha BBN4III", a "Dean ZMetalman", and a "Yamaha BB414". This bass won out against the ZMetalman and the BB414, but didn't match up to my BBN4III just from the sheer amount of sentimental value the it has. I wish it had a "Badass Bass II" bridge, a slimmer nut width, and a "Seymour Duncan SPB-3" in the middle position along with it's own volume and output. I just don't see why I shouldn't expand it's already wide tonal range! // 9

More Squier reviews rating category latest review
+ Classic Vibe '60s Stratocaster 9.2 Electric Guitars 01/19/2016