BC300 review by Stagg

• Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Stagg: BC300

I got this as a first bass to learn and practice on, mostly intending to play rock and some funk. When using it with the amp that came with it you could get vary little tone variety, the single knob on the bass pretty much gave you control over the amount of treble and the amp had only a basic equalizer which only gave you a dull sound with little volume or tone. You only got a very flat sound with no real presence and I had to upgrade the amp within 6 months. Now I am using it with a Roland Cube-30 which makes up for the lack of sound quality significantly but still doesn't give you the tone you'd get from a better quality bass. The pickups also pick up a lot of unwanted feedback which can be very irritating when working at high volumes.

I have had this bass for a year or so now, and it has done what I wanted it for: I have been able to learn on it and play with mates and it didn't cost me too much. If I were to lose it now though I would not get it again. It is very much a beginner's bass but I must admit I like not having to care so much now about taking care of it. I still feel Stagg could have just done a few simple things to improve it before it left the factory but I guess you get what you pay for. In short, if you are looking for a first bass, it does the job for the price, but if you can hold on and save up your pennies for a while you would be better off getting something more expensive and better built.

I wouldn't use this guitar for anything much more than practicing. And it sometimes gives me problems even for that. The input jack has a really bad connection even when I have fiddled with it/bent it into shape. It doesn't help that all of the electronics are really badly soldered, I wouldn't be surprised if there are bad connections elsewhere as well. The finish in easily scored (as in that your finger brushing it as you play can leave permanent marks). Despite that I think it is fairly well bolted together, my bass amp fell on the neck and surprisingly only the amp was damaged. It stood up to that better than its electronics have to a bit of use.

The action was far too low when I got the guitar, since then I have had to make adjustments to the bridge but I still can't raise it enough and there is a lot of fret buzz. The tuners easily slip while you're playing and something on them buzzes when you play, as did the pickups when I got it: they were ridiculously loose. I have since tightened them and that is no longer a problem. It is very poorly finished, when you take off the back you see how cheaply manufactured it is: a poorly cut hole with burn marks (from a soldering iron) and thick lumps of varnish, paint and glue. The nut isn't well cut for the strings, occasionally buzzing, and it had a very sharp edge, which seems like a minor thing but if you were to slide down towards the bottom of the fret board several times in a session your finger would end up raw. That at least was easy enough to be sanded, but you would still expect it to come out of the factory with a better finish.

I got this bass in May last year from my local store as it was the cheapest I could find which came with an amp. I assume it was made in China or Korea or somewhere like that. It has standard Stagg P and J style pickups, 2 volume controls and 1 tone knob. It has a solid alder body, a maple neck, and a rosewood fingerboard with 24 frets. It has the Stagg factory hardtail bridge and the tuners are the standard Stagg ones (non-locking, diecast nickel). It has a purple gloss finish with all black hardware. They are all relatively cheap components. It also came with a gigbag, a 2nd set of strings, a guitar pitch pipe, a cable (broke in a few weeks), a strap (also broke in a few weeks) and for an extra 20 a 20 watt Stagg amp (CA-20B or something) which I got as well.

GozitanThrasher
    I wouldn't recommend anyone to get this bass. Get the Squier Precision which is a little bit more expensive and a million times better. I regret it to this day for having got this piece of crap and didn't get a Squier instead.
    Vampire 255
    me 2 ive had my stagg for a year and a half and im still tryin 2 get rid of the fret buzz
    Spaz91
    I've had this bass since November and it has died. The E string tuner doesnt work, the G string keeps snapping and I can find the reason (I'm not a rough player) and the Jazz pickup doesn't pick up the E string. Don't buy this bass, get an Epipnone or a Fender Squier.
    Flaming Bass
    I bought this as my second bass.. And I still prefer my crappy internet ordered beginner PB copy. DO NOT BUY THIS BASS!
    comeback_kid
    Well.. after spending like 2 hours to set it up properly (i.e. attack, pickup height, tighten knobs, intonation) it works perfect for years now.. nothing got loose, no chatter or fret noise or anything.. Of course its not the best you can buy but you get what you pay for.. great for beginners if you look for a cheap choice.. (just take one lesson and make your teacher set it up properly if you cant do it.. )
    Cactus Jumper
    got it for 90 euro (120 dollars) and for this money it is really an amazing instrument, but the strings are crap, bought new ones and now (for me) this bass fits perfect. i can recommend it to all people who want to spend little money and get a good instrument. But as it always is with cheap instruments and companys like stagg, it depends extremly on the instrument and the quality but i had luck with mine all frets are processed neatly and the set up was also well.
    Bass-Face
    i bought this model about 2 to 3 months ago as a replacement for my last one because it was cheap and i just wanted to get straight back into playing. So in all fairness it's done all i needed it to do but having said that if i had the choice again i wouldnt have bothered with particular bass.... it's the first Stagg i've owned or played but judging by this one i wouldn't wanna have another one. The input is a constant issue, lossening all the time. Whenever i play with the slightest bit of emphasis the rattle is insane from not only the fret board but the machine heads aswell. So yeah, if your just looking for an affordable bass to sit and practice on or maybe play with some mates, this isnt the worst you could do... but for anything more serious like playing gigs or whatever this isn't the way to go..
    Guy_84
    I bought this as my first bass for about $125 and for what it is it's okay. The stock strings are terrible though so new strings is a must. Also the strings would break because of the bridge so I sanded the bridge with the broken strings and it's fine now. It needed plenty of adjusting to be playable (tuners, pickup height, tighten knobs, intonation, action) but it works. I haven't had any problems with the anything else though. The pickups are weak, thin, and muddy though but with mild overdrive or distortion it should be fine. This isn't the best bass around but it isn't the worst either...
    If3nd3r
    I trought of buying one (black) and toss all THE stagg sh*t out and put in eng or bartolini and give it a hipshot bridge Is This bad idea?