XB300 review by Stagg

• Reviewer's score: 6.6 Neat
Stagg: XB300

The first thing I'll say is that this bass has a nicer sound if you play of the 3rd pickup or the deep end pickup as the sound is a nice deep really grundgy bass sound. To me you can look at this bass in 2 ways. This is because it is not the best bass for anything other than metal and maybe some heavier rock or punk. So one way to look at it is that it does sound exellent as the amp had a distorted and a none distorted channel, The distorted channel sounded awesome with this bass and gave off a metal sound that could be used with any kind of heavier music for an excellent sound. However the clean channel was not the best and did not suit the bass it came with which I thought was strange. The other way to look at this bass like I said is that for slapping, Funk and softer music it is literally terrible it has no sound other than heavy and would just be ruined if someone tried to play RHCP on it! So overall nice sound for a metal (pick player maybe) but not for any1 else.

This bass overall did match my horror punkishness as like I said I has an awesome distorted sound. If it were stolen I wouldn't buy it again as I have no desire ever to play it again thanks to it's rubbish attitude towards staying in tune. But overall I would say this would be a good buy for any up and coming metal bassists as it has a great sound for that genre.

Thsi guitar could probably last through the blitz, a nuclear blast and more it is invincible and I'm not kidding (seriously I have dropped it out of my window and all that has happened is a slight scratch to the body) evrything is good, the strap locks needed tightening but it's not exactly a chore is it?

This bass was well put together when I first got it and I was well pleased with the way that it played. For someone like me Who likes the sound of a pick on a bass the action was great. I have heard people say that on some basses the fret markers were a bit sharp, however this was not a problem on this bass and it was really, pick up and play. The main problem with this bass was that the "self locking" tuners did not really stay in place and if tightened they would just snap the string for you in response so it never stayed in tune. other than that it seemed ok but that is quite a major thing really also there is quite a bit of buzz of any amp it is put through.

The Stagg XB300 or "gothic bass" as it is known was bought for a reasonable price as a starter bass. I'm not sure where it was made as it didn't say. It has 24 frets and 3 pickups that don't say what make I just assume that there Stagg. It appears to be a copy of a B.C. Rich Warlock bass as it has the same shape and colour. It has no finish it is like matt black. The tuners are Self Locking. It came with a cover (not a gig bag) a Stagg standard strap, a not so high quality cable and a Stagg amp which was the same make as the bass I think XB300. It has passive electronics and a nice finish that overall makes this bass look extremely playable at first glance!

Bev-Bass92
    Good review. I also have this bass and it's terrible for funk, great for metal. It's true, this thing indistructable! After an argument with a family member, he tried to bash it in. HE FAILED! although he stole the strings, but thats none of the bass's fault!
    Random_Ted
    I own one, my friend bought it but some how it resides in my room.... I personally don't like it. Too uncomfortable to play. Don't bother with this.
    damian745
    i have this bass, and yes its true about how its only good for metal (i bought it to school once to play some soft rock and completely failed). But i dont seem to have the problem of it not staying in tune, mine stays in tune really well =]
    bamslis
    I own this too- such a piece of crap. Very uncomfortable, a painful neck dive, sound is bleak. I would suggest to buy this only if you are planning to use it in a noisy metal band and are not planning to spend much time practicing, as it will give you no satisfaction when played alone.