XB300 review by Stagg

• Reviewer's score: 3 Poor
Stagg: XB300

Price paid: € 70

Purchased from: Second hand

It doesn't fit any music style, but it's less sh.tty for metal. It sounds like bench with strings. I play it with Vox pathfinder bass amp without effects.

I play metal (mostly Megadeth) but I don't think it fits. I have been playing for five months, mostly at home, sometimes with friend (guitar). If it were stolen, I would make friendship with that thief. I bought it second hand for 70, because I didn't know if I really want to play bass. It has 4 strings and fretboard and it was all I needed. Now, when I know I definitely want to play bass, I hate everything on this bass except of jackhole position (on the front panel of the body). If I spent 200 (the cost of new), I would commit suicide. For 140 you can buy SX Vintage J-Bass, which is thousand times better (really, that bass is AMAZING for the money) or Cort ACTION DLX for 200 which is million times better bass (active EQ, soapbars, nice look, perfect action, nice quality and balance) if you don't like jazz bass shape and want something more metal. Now I am going to buy Cort b4 and I will burn this piece of crap in hell.

I would never play this live, I would never record it (even cover for youtube) but the hardware looks like it will survive everything. Next thing is that it falls to the head side, what makes playing more difficult.

The action is terrible, about 7-8mm at 24th fret. Pickups make lot of hum. Tuners are crappy, it's hard to tune, but then it stays in tune quite well.

I don't know where it was made and I don't want to. It has 24 jumbo frets on rosewood board, maple neck and alder body. It is black, ugly, has one humbucker and one JB pickup, Tone knob, volume knob, 3-way switch.

LostHeart
    i don't see how people have had problems with it staying in tune as mine can stay in tune for ages but it maybe that our local music shop doesn't sell them if there is the slightest thing wrong with them, and it's perfect for me as the only music i play is metal I don't find it uncomfortable either.
    prbrianpr
    I have one year with this bass. It looks awesome I dont know why people buy bass that dont like the shape. Anyway for the price this bass have sh..t electronics and pickups, The wood is nice to me, I now have a thunderbird pro V too, played 2 other friend basses and realise that this bass not is bad at all. Yeah all bass in this price range are only for begginer. Having good heavy and solid wood I change the electronics for active, will change the bridge, the tuners works fine to me, it stay in tune. It now sounds nice. I know you will ending expending more money on parts for the bass than the bass itself and changing all the parts except the wood but it will make this bass a good one. I say, do this if you only like the shape, all y friends love this bass shape. PS: My thunderbird pro V weights more and have more neck dive than this bass, so this not a problem if you have a big or strong body and change the strap buttons to the neck.