Energy V review by Status

Status: Energy V

Gives a good 'modern' rock sound with plenty of mid-range sounds. Good fifth string tension gives fairly good clarity, but this bass is great if used for mid or treble notes - really cuts through. However, my style is mainly classic rock, and it handles the lower end brilliantly. I've used it with a Gallien-Krueger 200RB amp through Peavey 4x10 & 1x15 cabs, but more recently through an Ashdown 600w head & Ashdown 'Mini' 4x8 & 1x15 cabs - what a brill sound! Electronics are top-notch, powerful, well shielded and give good variety. I use it with slightly more neck pickup and about 60% treble boost for a good beefy rock sound. Easy-access battery compartment too. Variety is not as wide as more advanced models with bass & mid boost/cut controls, but it's great for what it has.

This plays rock well (ask Mike Porcaro of Toto - he uses one), though it could use a bass boost for better defined bottom end. I also own an Ibanez Ergodyne 605, a Dean 5-string fretless and a Yamaha RBX200. The Status out-powers them all easily. If lost/stolen I would be gutted, but I'd try to replace it with a similar 'classic' Status bass with additional active bass control. I love the sounds, the power, the look, the fact it sit's well with me. I love the balance - heavy body and small headstock means no 'tipping'. I don't like the lack of bass boost (you may have picked up on this! ), and the fingerboard feels quite wide for someone like me Who has very small hands/short fingers. I manage ok though. It's heavy compared to my other basses, but has a meatier sound. I play fingerstyle and it's a bass that suit's this style.

This bass stands anything (apart from punters yanking the lead out! Grr!). I've gigged it many many times, at rough pubs, weddings, outside, inside, and it has withstood it all superbly. It's tough! I fitted straplocks at the beginning because it didn't come with any. The finish has not worn apart from what you might expect from 10-15 years of gigging - doesn't show up obviously because of the natural wood finish.

I had it set up by Rob Green (the founder of Status) a few years ago after the lead was yanked by a punter, causing the jack socket to be damaged. He replaced necessary bit's and was a nice guy too! As the finish is natural the top is perfectly bokmatched, despite being a fairly 'budget' ass at this level. No flaws originally, though a few gigging belt scratches and wear marks on the pickups where fingers have constantly brushed them.

5-string bought new in 1993, made in UK. Rosewood fingerboard (my preferred fingerboard) laid on a bolt-on Maple neck, 24 frets. Graphite truss-rods either side of steel rod through the neck for 'atmospheric' stability - keeps it's tuning brilliantly in all conditions. Alder body, classic 'Status' shape with hooked horns. Great natural finish. Active electronics, treble boost/cut, volume for each of the 2 original Status bar pickups (not 'soap-bar'). Solid black chrome bridge & Gotoh tuners set off the natural finish nicely. I bought a standard SKB hard case to protect it.