SPB-57 FL review by SX

SX: SPB-57 FL

Purchased from: Darlington Music Store

Good versatile guitar with a full range. No need for any special effects. Best used with punk, rock or Jazz. I only used a simple amp with a volume and tone control but the sounds is clear. Occasionally the pickups act up and the sounds goes fuzzy. Not a brilliant slap bass but reacts well to most techniques.

I mainly play Jazz and it is very well suited to this but it is probably best suited to Punk or Hard Rock. I have been playing for about a year and I have played on a Fender Precision bass and barely noticed the difference. If I had been buying again I would have asked about the the wiring as it has caused trouble fresh out of the box but a little soldering fixed it up for a couple years or so. I would probably invest in a better bass if I lost this one but I would buy it for a backup, Definitely. My favourite part of my bass is the simplicity of it and the way it suits my plug-and-play attitude. I compared it to a couple including the Fender Jaguar Bass but I really liked this from the outset. I only wish I had bought it with a fifth string, the one thing I would add is a low B.

This bass would definitely be taken on a tour as a first bass or backup as it is reliable when playing on stage. It is unlikely that a backup would be required when playing live and I would take the risk if it arose. The strap buttons are solid but there is a danger that it can wear through straps quite quickly and I have had to save mine on more than one occasion from hitting the floor. A decent finish that has only worn off in one place but that is because it ended up being dragged along the pavement once, which it still stood up to.

Solid instrument but goes out of tune quickly, the pickups weren't soldered when I got it and the sound varied. No cosmetic flaws and its quite a smooth bass.

No year given on the guitar but looks to be after 2005, 21 frets on a 34" scale. Nicely spaced and a comfortably thin Neck. Laminated black with a white plastic fretboard. Unsure on The wood. Copy of a Fender P-Bass apart from the headstock and machine heads. P-Bass style bridge.