Rebel 4K review by Tanglewood

Tanglewood: Rebel 4K

This bass suits my music style quite well, I play a large variety of things from blues to metal and even church music. As this bass has a large variety of tones it makes it easy to change from one thing to another. I run this bass through a Boss bass overdrive pedal and a Behringer flanger pedal which then all goes through a Stagg 100b/112 bass amp (65 watts or so). Overall it sounds good and does not have any noise problems.

Overall I think this bass is a good match for me, It would work well for anyone which is on a tight budget or just starting to play bass and wants to play a variety of different types of music. I've been playing for a little less than a year now and as you may probably have realised I've changed most of my kit which I originally got, the only thing I have left which is original from when I got the bass is the bass itself. If it was lost or stolen I would probably buy this bass again or if I had extra cash lying around I might ask my brother to build me a cool bass. If this bass could have any other features I wish it would have a killswitch just so I could play around with a killswitch.

This bass is tough and can withstand some rough handling, I myself have not been too kind to mine and it's held out really well so far the finish remains in ace condition. I do have one problem where I've twisted one of the volume knobs to far and now it turns around endlessly when I turn it but I can still use to the knob so it's fine. I would use this bass at a gig without a backup as it is really reliable I would however bring my tools with me just in case (the lead input bolt keeps comming undone).

The action and pickups where set up quite well at the factory although I've changed them around a bit since to fit in with my style of playing. I did have one problem with it however when I first got it, one of the volume knobs wasn't working so I just opened it up at the back blew the dust away and it started working again.

I'm not really sure where this bass was made although I have often tried to find out. The bass is a longscale with 24 frets and as it's the 4K model it's a four string. The body is made from basswood (Tilia wood) which has a good resonance at high and mid frequencies. The body on my model was finished with a transparent purple lacquer which in my opinion looks quite nice. The bass has two passive pickups, a humbucker and a percussion pickup or something like that. Each of the pickups has it's individual volume control and there's a tone knob. I bought this as my first bass and got it with a 10 watt Hiwatt bass amp (which I've now sold), a real cheap lead (which I quickly replaced), some adjusting tools and a strap (also replaced). The little leaflet that came with it was of no use what'soever to me, all it really explained was how to tune which I already knew how to do so it was as I said, pointless.