Rebel 4K review by Tanglewood

Tanglewood: Rebel 4K

Purchased from: ebay

I'm invariably interested in classic rock (maybe a little new stuff too! ) and blues. This guitar makes bass sounds to fit in with anything I play... Err not sure what else to say about it.. It's a bass guitar! Quality of the tone is very good given the fact this is a budget bass.. And as a learning tool for beginning bass players it seems fine.

As an entry level bass guitar it seems fine. I bought this to have a go at bass, and have found it actually has helped my 6 string playing! The much bigger neck and string spacing makes my other guitars seem tiny and very easy to play now.. RESULT! If I decide I like Bass guitar I may invest in something a bit more up market, but have no complaints about this first bass.

Changed the original strap buttons.. Which were loose, but nothing a screw driver wouldn't have fixed, for some strap lock buttons as I use the same strap for all my guitars. I play for my own amusement at present so can't comment on it's gigging ability! But if I were to go on stage I'd want something a bit better than this!

Ahh... Now down to the finish.. Which I think could have been better even though I didn't pay a lot for it. On my guitar the neck seems very dry and it looks like its covered in dust from when the builders filed the frets during finishing. Can't wait to get the strings off to give it a good clean and a good soaking in lemon oil! Also, the back of the neck feels like it should have been sanded a bit more, there's still a few high spots and rough bits there. The paintwork seems deep and like it'll last for years.. I don't treat guitars as ornaments, they are instruments.. To be played! So the odd knock or scratch doesn't bother me.

I just got this guitar this week in transparent blue (nice) off ebay as a package for 102 including the Hiwatt amp and the cheap crap accessories. I would have prefered a decent bag and nothin else! I'm a six string player and this is my first bass, the guitar seems good, but still trying to work out what the three knobs do (no explanation in the literature). I think 2 are volumes and one is either blend or tone, there's no Switch to change pickups. This is my first bass so not really sure how it stands up against others, but it feels reasonably light and has a comfortable feel hanging from a strap. Pickups are non adjustable from what I can see just screwed to the top of the guitar, dunno why some people say they have adjusted them to suit themselves!

Metacaster
    Got mine for 20 10 years ago and I still love it. Best things about it: Its utterly bullet proof. Its so light! Handles anything appart from a bit of pop and slapping... in which case I have a rather fetching (if very heavy) MusicMan Stingray copy. I imagine the fretless version would sound very cool with the tone mine has!