Warrior 3 FH review by Tanglewood

Tanglewood: Warrior 3 FH

Purchased from: Ebay

My preferred styles include classic rock, blues, alternative rock, Indie, funk, soul and hip-hop and this bass is versatile enough to cover this wide range of genres, mainly due to the excellent pickup configuration which is a very versatile setup. I'm currently playing it through an Eden Nemesis N8 40 Watt amp, which suits the instrument very nicely at the moment, as well as occasionally playing it through my Behringer BSY600 Bass Synth when I get bored of the clean sounds and want to make some crazy Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds analog synth noises! Overall, this a very warm sounding bass, helped, No Doubt, by the semi hollow body which gives it a subtle edge over similar solid body basses. That is not to say that you can't rock out with this bass; Switch to the MM bridge humbucker and the Warrior will growl like nobodies business, cabable of handling heavy rock and funky slap exploits with ease. The Jazz style pickup is more subtle but sounds great either on it's own, or in tandem with the bridge pickup. If you mess about with the volume and tone of each pickup, they can be nicely blended and create some truly unique tones.

I'm a guitarist who has dabbled with bass more and more over the 7 years since I started playing and this is my first 'proper' bass (I once owned an Encore Precision-style bass but that was an absolute dog, so I don't even count that! ). Before getting the Warrior, I seriously considered buying an Epiphone EB3 bass, but eventually decided not to take the plunge due to issues I had with it's versatility. I've found that the Warrior more than measures up to my requirements as a bassist and provides that semi-acoustic sound that I've been looking for in a bass for a while now, giving me the versatility of sound that the majority of other semi-acoustic basses on the market can't, due mainly the innovative pairing of the J-style and MM-style pickups. The styling of the instrument also means it is a cut above the myriad Precision and Jazz imitations on the budget bass market and stands out as being something truly stylish and unique in a sea of clones. If this bass was lost or stolen I would definitely consider tracking down another one on Ebay. A great bargain - highly recommended!

I haven't played the Warrior in a Live environment yet but I'm pretty sure it would be able to hold it's own with the best of them and I would feel confident gigging it without a backup. Considering I bought it second hand, there are no scratches or dents in the bodywork, which leads me to assume that the finish is pretty durable. The strap buttons are fairly standard but I have no qualms about playing it stood up without strap locks. I have found that if your strap is made of good quality leather then this isn't really an issue.

I bought this bass second hand from Ebay so I can't comment on the factory set-up but the action is very smooth and I've not had any reason to mess around with the pickup adjustments just yet. The fit and finish is pretty nice all over, with the neck to body join being particularly well engineered. the only minor niggle that I found was that there is a slight fretboard overhang which, although looking very swish aesthetically, can sometimes get it the way when popping strings when employing the slap technique, though this can be countered by adjusting you playing slightly. The edges of the f-holes are a tiny bit ragged too but for the most part, the build quality is mostly excellent when you consider the price.

I'm not sure when this bass was made, but my best guess is within the last ten years or so. They don't make this bass anymore, which is a shame for anyone wanting to buy a new one, but a plus for any collectors looking for a rare gem. Tanglewood are a UK based company that manufactures their guitars in Korea. This bass is full-scale and has a bolt-on maple, 24 fret neck. The body is made from mahogany and is a semi-hollow design complete with classy f-holes. The body style is inspired by the Warwick Infinity and Fender Jazz Bass but is, in my humble opinion, sexier than both, with some stylish design flourishes. It has a Fender style bridge, non-locking tuners and two volume and two tone controls, all tastefully gold-plated. The passive pickup arrangement is a very nice combination of a Jazz-style single coil at the neck and a Music Man humbucker at the bridge.