Warrior 3 FH Review

manufacturer: Tanglewood date: 12/01/2008 category: Bass Guitars
Tanglewood: Warrior 3 FH
A double cutaway electric bass guitar featuring a unique part hollow ash body with double 'F'Holes. Double humbucking pick-ups are fitted as standard. The mahogany neck is reinforced with a truss rod and perfectly fretted.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 2,152
reviews (3) user comments vote for this gear:
Warrior 3 FH Reviewed by: GreenDayChris, on august 09, 2004

Purchased from: Deaking Guitars

Features: I don't know what year this bass was made or where it was made as I bought the bass second hand. The neck is maple, I think, and the fretboard is rosewood and nice and smooth. It has 24 frets. I am not sure what wood the body is, possibly mahogany. The finish is a nice, lovely black but you kind of see through to the wood grain, which is nice. I have also seen this bass in a natural finish. The body style is just like a normal bass, kind of shaped like a strat, but the thing I like most about it is the F-holes which lend a bit of class to the look and the gold hardware which looks well flash. There are 4 knobs on the body, two volume and two tone. The pickups are from EMC Electronics, with one single and one double pickup. The tuners have no brand. I didn't get any extras with this bass. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: My bass was set up well although there were a couple of minor niggles, nothing to really complain about though. There were a couple of scratches on the body, but it was used so the shop can't really be blamed. These scratches aren't overly visible anyway. The only other problem is that one of the knobs doesn't turn properly but this happened after I bought the bass. I think it's probablu just that the wire got tangled up or something. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have played this bass live and without backup although if I had more than one bass I would probably take two along just to be on the safe side. The strap has never fallen off and the strap buttons are solid. The finish seems solid and hard to damage, I've knocked the bass a couple of times but scratches are minimal, hard to see and haven't gone through to the wood. I think this bass will last as someone else had it before me and I've had it a few months, played live about five times and it is abosulutley fine. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly rock and this bass works well with a lovely, crisp sound. I have been playing guitar about two and a bit years, but bass for only about 4-5 months, this is my first and only bass and I love it. My other gear is a Fender Highway 1 strat, Marshall 15DFX and my Page B20 bass amp and I must say I enjoy plaing this bass nearly as much as the 400 Fender. If this bass were stolen, I would never lose it, I would consider buying one the same again, if I could find one the same price. However as I got mine second hand I know they are more new, about 275-300, but I think the bass is worth it. If it were stolen though I might use the oppurtunity to upgrade to something like a Fender. I love the sound and the fact it is pretty light and my fave thing is the F- holes because I love those stylish, classy, big semi-acoustic Gretches and the like. Overall I think it is a fantastic bass for a beginner or intermediate player though may even be good enough for pro level. I would recommend anyone looking for a first bass to bypass the normal Squiers/Encores and other cheap basses, which I also looked at, and go but a Tanglewood Warrior 3 FH, a much better instrument at a similar price. // 10

Warrior 3 FH Reviewed by: theshowbizkid, on may 03, 2005

Purchased from: BMI

Features: Tanglewood is a Korean manufacturer, and this bass was made circa 2002. Aesthetics: jazz bass shaped body; green gloss stained finish; maple laminate top; gold hardware; 24 frets; Rosewood fingerboard; 1 single coil, and 1 double coil pickup; 2 symettrical 'f' holes. The bass is passive, with 2 tone and 2 volume controls (1 for each pick-up). Also came with gig-bag. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: There's not much to say here - the finish was very good, and looks professionally done, and I have had no problems. The action is quite impressive considering its price, but compared to other basses, this is nothing special. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This bass has withstood many gigs (though it only plays a bit part anyway), and I've had little problems. The jack did come out last year (after 2 years of owning this bass), and I've had no further problems with this since repairing it myself. This is my backup bass, and I can rely upon it. // 8

Overall Impression: It's hard to be overly enthusiastic about this bass, but its good enough. It was my first owned bass (I played a Westone to start off with, and borrowed/inherited my dad's bass), and it has done a very solid job. It is designed to look 'funky', and that appears to be its main purpose, above sound quality, and is also its main letdown. For its price, I would consider buying the same bass again if lost, but purely as backup, as it can't contend with the other basses I own (Rickenbacker 4003, Fretless Warwick Jazzman, 5-String Status Graphite). // 6

Warrior 3 FH Reviewed by: Maverick49, on december 01, 2008

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: I'm not sure when this bass was made, but my best guess is within the last ten years or so. They don't make this bass anymore, which is a shame for anyone wanting to buy a new one, but a plus for any collectors looking for a rare gem. Tanglewood are a UK based company that manufactures their guitars in Korea. This bass is full-scale and has a bolt-on maple, 24 fret neck. The body is made from mahogany and is a semi-hollow design complete with classy f-holes. The body style is inspired by the Warwick Infinity and Fender Jazz Bass but is, in my humble opinion, sexier than both, with some stylish design flourishes. It has a Fender style bridge, non-locking tuners and two volume and two tone controls, all tastefully gold-plated. The passive pickup arrangement is a very nice combination of a Jazz-style single coil at the neck and a Music Man humbucker at the bridge. // 8

Sound: My preferred styles include classic rock, blues, alternative rock, Indie, funk, soul and hip-hop and this bass is versatile enough to cover this wide range of genres, mainly due to the excellent pickup configuration which is a very versatile setup. I'm currently playing it through an Eden Nemesis N8 40 Watt amp, which suits the instrument very nicely at the moment, as well as occasionally playing it through my Behringer BSY600 Bass Synth when I get bored of the clean sounds and want to make some crazy Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds analog synth noises! Overall, this a very warm sounding bass, helped, No Doubt, by the semi hollow body which gives it a subtle edge over similar solid body basses. That is not to say that you can't rock out with this bass; Switch to the MM bridge humbucker and the Warrior will growl like nobodies business, cabable of handling heavy rock and funky slap exploits with ease. The Jazz style pickup is more subtle but sounds great either on it's own, or in tandem with the bridge pickup. If you mess about with the volume and tone of each pickup, they can be nicely blended and create some truly unique tones. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this bass second hand from Ebay so I can't comment on the factory set-up but the action is very smooth and I've not had any reason to mess around with the pickup adjustments just yet. The fit and finish is pretty nice all over, with the neck to body join being particularly well engineered. the only minor niggle that I found was that there is a slight fretboard overhang which, although looking very swish aesthetically, can sometimes get it the way when popping strings when employing the slap technique, though this can be countered by adjusting you playing slightly. The edges of the f-holes are a tiny bit ragged too but for the most part, the build quality is mostly excellent when you consider the price. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played the Warrior in a Live environment yet but I'm pretty sure it would be able to hold it's own with the best of them and I would feel confident gigging it without a backup. Considering I bought it second hand, there are no scratches or dents in the bodywork, which leads me to assume that the finish is pretty durable. The strap buttons are fairly standard but I have no qualms about playing it stood up without strap locks. I have found that if your strap is made of good quality leather then this isn't really an issue. // 8

Overall Impression: I'm a guitarist who has dabbled with bass more and more over the 7 years since I started playing and this is my first 'proper' bass (I once owned an Encore Precision-style bass but that was an absolute dog, so I don't even count that! ). Before getting the Warrior, I seriously considered buying an Epiphone EB3 bass, but eventually decided not to take the plunge due to issues I had with it's versatility. I've found that the Warrior more than measures up to my requirements as a bassist and provides that semi-acoustic sound that I've been looking for in a bass for a while now, giving me the versatility of sound that the majority of other semi-acoustic basses on the market can't, due mainly the innovative pairing of the J-style and MM-style pickups. The styling of the instrument also means it is a cut above the myriad Precision and Jazz imitations on the budget bass market and stands out as being something truly stylish and unique in a sea of clones. If this bass was lost or stolen I would definitely consider tracking down another one on Ebay. A great bargain - highly recommended! // 9

Comments