Array Attack 5 review by Traben

Traben: Array Attack 5

Purchased from: Sam Ash

I generally play metal, and use a tone anywhere from mellow and smooth to punchy as hell and this bass delivers it all. I'm playing it through a Gallien-Krueger Backline 600 Head with a 410 and a 115 cab, and it fills the room with sound, I've got the preamp on the amp set pushing the bass and treble with a little bit of hi and low mids added in, every thing else tone wise comes from the bass. I can get a nice punchy tone from the MM pickup and a more "classic" tone from the jazz.You can get every tone you could ever need out of this bass, it's extremely versatile.

I play a lot of metal but I also do some jazz and a couple other musical projects and this bass fits them all tonally, but visually some of the groups I play with would prefer that it just stays with the metal band. I've been playing for a little over 11 years and I have owned plenty of basses and this isn't my favorite of all the basses I've owned but it is my "go to" bass for the majority of what I'm doing currently, I would puck it over my Ibanez SR506 and SR505 any day, just because the tonal range is so much greater and I can adjust between songs with out needing to change basses to get the tone for that song. I would recommend this bass to another bassist looking for a good solid five string with many tone options.

I've had the bass for a couple of months not and it's still in great condition, I have no doubt that it'll last a while. It's a bass that I would gig without a back up but out of habit I will always have a back up just in case something were to happen at some point in time. Stays in tune, really absolutely no problems after I made my few minor fixes.

When I got the bass at first glance everything seemed to be in good working order, but that was at first glance... I went to take a deeper look as the bass just to make sure that EVERYTHING was in tip top shape and to put on a set of my own preferred strings. I noticed the one of the plastic washers in the tuning knob for the B string looked melted, and I had to replace that. The action was a bit high for my own liking, so I had to adjust that. Plus a couple of the bolts holding the neck on were a bit loose but it wasn't anything wrong with it that it needed to be shipped back or taken to a shop to fix, simple stuff that I could do on my own from home.

This is a great bass in my honest opinion, Burled Maple top with a royal paulonia body, it's incredibly light weight as far as the body is concerned, it's a bit top heavy and I have a bit of problem with neck dive, but it's not an issue while playing. Jazz pickup at the neck and an MM style humbucker at the bridge. It's got an active three band eq, bass, mid, and treble, also master volume and pick up blend; Rockfield active preamp, and the pickups are also Rockfield. Body through stringing system, grover tuners, chromed brass nut, and the Traben tribal flame bigger bridge. The finish on mine is called "Black Burl" I was hoping to find the "Granite" but it seemed impossible to find anywhere. Over all it looks amazing.

JagerSlushy
    First, I shall quote you.
    10 - great
    Now I will quote the rating scale.
    K!!LsWiTcH
    JagerSlushy wrote: feathers632 wrote: The 10 for reliability means it has never broken and will never break. That is impressive. Have you tried dropping it from a 3rd floor window to see if it lives up to the 10? It looks good though. First, I shall quote you. 10 - great Now I will quote the rating scale.
    LOL +1
    slashermaster
    one of the few awesome reviews on this site, I guess its kind of unfair to expect a lot from the internet but there are a lot of bad reviews here (one that came from me... not afraid to admit it
    Darkkon
    Seriously? Why make a score if only bouncy balls and black boxes can achieve it? Also, giving it a 10 after only having it for a few months is bullocks. I have a bone to pick with each and every person on this site - come at me bros.
    AcidicAleks
    will42 wrote: they don't make the granite finish in 5 string.
    You're right they don't, I was originally looking for a four string in granite, and I was gonna put thicker gauge strings on it, but due to the brass nut, I figured I would do more damage than good filing it down for thicker gauges, but I couldn't find it in granite unless it was some small "unknown" website that I didn't trust.
    AcidicAleks
    Oh and, the first day I had it, I was walking it into practice, slipped on some ice, dropped it, and there wasn't a scratch or dent anywhere on the bass to be found. And anybody with the money to buy a bass to toss it out of a 3rd story window just to see if it survives should donate that extra cash to a charity.
    feathers632