Array Attack 5 Review

2,092
review (1) pictures (4) 12 comments vote for this gear:
Array Attack 5 Reviewed by: AcidicAleks, on may 13, 2011

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: This is a great bass in my honest opinion, Burled Maple top with a royal paulonia body, it's incredibly light weight as far as the body is concerned, it's a bit top heavy and I have a bit of problem with neck dive, but it's not an issue while playing. Jazz pickup at the neck and an MM style humbucker at the bridge. It's got an active three band eq, bass, mid, and treble, also master volume and pick up blend; Rockfield active preamp, and the pickups are also Rockfield. Body through stringing system, grover tuners, chromed brass nut, and the Traben tribal flame bigger bridge. The finish on mine is called "Black Burl" I was hoping to find the "Granite" but it seemed impossible to find anywhere. Over all it looks amazing. // 8

Sound: I generally play metal, and use a tone anywhere from mellow and smooth to punchy as hell and this bass delivers it all. I'm playing it through a Gallien-Krueger Backline 600 Head with a 410 and a 115 cab, and it fills the room with sound, I've got the preamp on the amp set pushing the bass and treble with a little bit of hi and low mids added in, every thing else tone wise comes from the bass. I can get a nice punchy tone from the MM pickup and a more "classic" tone from the jazz.You can get every tone you could ever need out of this bass, it's extremely versatile. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the bass at first glance everything seemed to be in good working order, but that was at first glance... I went to take a deeper look as the bass just to make sure that EVERYTHING was in tip top shape and to put on a set of my own preferred strings. I noticed the one of the plastic washers in the tuning knob for the B string looked melted, and I had to replace that. The action was a bit high for my own liking, so I had to adjust that. Plus a couple of the bolts holding the neck on were a bit loose but it wasn't anything wrong with it that it needed to be shipped back or taken to a shop to fix, simple stuff that I could do on my own from home. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've had the bass for a couple of months not and it's still in great condition, I have no doubt that it'll last a while. It's a bass that I would gig without a back up but out of habit I will always have a back up just in case something were to happen at some point in time. Stays in tune, really absolutely no problems after I made my few minor fixes. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of metal but I also do some jazz and a couple other musical projects and this bass fits them all tonally, but visually some of the groups I play with would prefer that it just stays with the metal band. I've been playing for a little over 11 years and I have owned plenty of basses and this isn't my favorite of all the basses I've owned but it is my "go to" bass for the majority of what I'm doing currently, I would puck it over my Ibanez SR506 and SR505 any day, just because the tonal range is so much greater and I can adjust between songs with out needing to change basses to get the tone for that song. I would recommend this bass to another bassist looking for a good solid five string with many tone options. // 9

Comments