Array Limited review by Traben

Traben: Array Limited

Purchased from: PMT (Professional Music Technology)

As I said above the 'knobs' on the bass help you effortlessly change your tone between songs - you can flick the Bass and middle up and have a deep rumble, or for a bit of slap, whack the treble and middle up - the possibilities are endless! Treban claim that having a bigger bridge produces a bigger tone - and I absolutly believe them, on comparison with my Fender Jaguar the tone is far punchier.

I play Indie music mostly (with the occansional burst of metal - distortion pedals are great!) and have been playing for a good seven years by now and I have to say I'm chuffed with this bass. I plug it in to a (Jim Dunlop) Bass Wah > (Behringer) Bass Chorus > (Behringer) Bass Overdrive and then into a Laney RB4 and it sounds immense. In comparison to my other basses (an Ibanez and a Fender) I'd say I cherish this one the least; bashing it around and not really caring but it never fails to compete with them - sound-wise and in looks. After playing a couple of gigs with different basses, a few friends said that this looks better than both the Ibanez SR506 and Fender Jaguar (classic sunburst)!

Reliable? Not really - the 'knobs' are very wobbly, having tighted the grab-screws multiple times but Durible? Definently - I'm in a band and I use the Treban as my pratice bass, meaning it's constantly being taken to and from band practice, being bashed around all over the place, and in a year or that I haven't had a single scratch, dent or blemish on the face of the bass at all! (A few belt marks on the back but no gloss finish on the back)

I had a few problems with the Treban when I first brought it: I took it home and after about 3 days the Pickup selecter broke, so I took it back and they replaced it (Treban as a company were very good - with outstanding customer service) and then that one malfunctioned - the Active Pre-amp went bang this time - Treban replaced it again (and gave me a free Korg tuner, for no apparent reason, but I wont say no!) so once I had my hands on this 3rd bass I had to spend about half an hour on setting up the bridge and to top it - the strings already fitted were cheapo terrible ones which were instantly replaced with Ernie Ball ones! However, a year later, I've had no problems with it since.

The most prominent feature - the bridge - sealed the deal for me, it exactly suit's the metal and Indie I play whilst not being generic like a Fender or Ibanez. The 'knobs' on the front were, at first, a few too many for me but having played it for a year I see the reasons behind them: You have a volume and pick up selecter (as standard) but then individual Bass, Middle and Treble knobs. This is great when jamming along to a CD as you can effortlessly change your entire tone in a few seconds.

TortillaChip520
    I have the array limited 4 string, and it the thing is beautiful. It is literally the most playable bass i have ever used; even the top of the line music man or fenders can't compare to how smoothe and easy this bass is to play (to me). That being said, it isn't exactly perfect either. The knobs are held in place by some screw-like things that can be tightened/loosened by an alan wrench. one of them came loose on mine and the knob won't stay on, so now i have to buy an alan wrench just to fix the thing! When i changed the strings the first time, there were splinters of wood and dust in the holes where the strings go through. It doesn't affect the tone or anything, but it's not exactly nice knowing it's like that under there. The finish on the body hasn't let me down at all, but the finish on the back of the neck has worn off in places. If you were going to make this your go-to bass, then i'd put new pickups in it, but other than that it's an all around good bass!
    Tostitos
    I have one of these puppies and I'll say its never let me down. Nothing unreliable about it in the past 3 years or so. Its a bit awkward shaped at first, you have to get used to it, but other then that a great bass at a great value!