Array Limited Review

manufacturer: Traben date: 01/06/2011 category: Bass Guitars
Traben: Array Limited
Using exotic woods normally reserved for high-end or custom basses, the Traben Array Limited 5S brings a striking spalted maple top to the Traben style and sound.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 6.5
 3,392
reviews (2) pictures (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Array Limited Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 26, 2009

Purchased from: PMT (Professional Music Technology)

Features: The most prominent feature - the bridge - sealed the deal for me, it exactly suit's the metal and Indie I play whilst not being generic like a Fender or Ibanez. The 'knobs' on the front were, at first, a few too many for me but having played it for a year I see the reasons behind them: You have a volume and pick up selecter (as standard) but then individual Bass, Middle and Treble knobs. This is great when jamming along to a CD as you can effortlessly change your entire tone in a few seconds. // 9

Sound: As I said above the 'knobs' on the bass help you effortlessly change your tone between songs - you can flick the Bass and middle up and have a deep rumble, or for a bit of slap, whack the treble and middle up - the possibilities are endless! Treban claim that having a bigger bridge produces a bigger tone - and I absolutly believe them, on comparison with my Fender Jaguar the tone is far punchier. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I had a few problems with the Treban when I first brought it: I took it home and after about 3 days the Pickup selecter broke, so I took it back and they replaced it (Treban as a company were very good - with outstanding customer service) and then that one malfunctioned - the Active Pre-amp went bang this time - Treban replaced it again (and gave me a free Korg tuner, for no apparent reason, but I wont say no!) so once I had my hands on this 3rd bass I had to spend about half an hour on setting up the bridge and to top it - the strings already fitted were cheapo terrible ones which were instantly replaced with Ernie Ball ones! However, a year later, I've had no problems with it since. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Reliable? Not really - the 'knobs' are very wobbly, having tighted the grab-screws multiple times but Durible? Definently - I'm in a band and I use the Treban as my pratice bass, meaning it's constantly being taken to and from band practice, being bashed around all over the place, and in a year or that I haven't had a single scratch, dent or blemish on the face of the bass at all! (A few belt marks on the back but no gloss finish on the back) // 8

Overall Impression: I play Indie music mostly (with the occansional burst of metal - distortion pedals are great!) and have been playing for a good seven years by now and I have to say I'm chuffed with this bass. I plug it in to a (Jim Dunlop) Bass Wah > (Behringer) Bass Chorus > (Behringer) Bass Overdrive and then into a Laney RB4 and it sounds immense. In comparison to my other basses (an Ibanez and a Fender) I'd say I cherish this one the least; bashing it around and not really caring but it never fails to compete with them - sound-wise and in looks. After playing a couple of gigs with different basses, a few friends said that this looks better than both the Ibanez SR506 and Fender Jaguar (classic sunburst)! // 9

Array Limited Reviewed by: DeathThrashDie, on january 06, 2011

Purchased from: Jerry's Music Emporium

Features: First impression (looks) - It looks just like they yanked the best piece of wood right out of a beautiful, majestic tree, carved it, shot a clear coat on it, and added the hardware. On top of that, add the custom bridge that Traben basses use, and you easily have the most eye catching guitar or bass I have ever seen (and I've been hitting up musical instrument stores, Guitar centers and pawn shops for the last 17 years). I won't bother with all the features at this point as they're all listed on the company's website and have always been secondary to playability, tone and looks when it comes to selecting an instrument purchase for me. I will add that Traben's custom bridges, purported to give the bass a fuller tone due to more points of contact with the body, actually do what the website says they do. It will honestly shock you how rich the tone and sustain are despite the light weight of the bass. The only complaint I can log feature-wise is the single 9V battery compartment....two screws vs. the easier access lids that most newer-model basses feature. MINOR inconvenience as I'm pretty careful about unplugging whenever I'm not playing and I like to change batteries before gigs just to make sure that's one less thing to worry about. // 9

Sound: Sound-wise, this bass would suit any musical style thanks to the active preamp and 3 band e.q. Of course, I like to flat my e.q. and let the amp do the tone chasing for me. The biggest part of selecting a bass after the first impression of the looks is how well it sounds and feels unplugged. If it's crap there, then it'll usually be crap no matter what kind of fancy setup and effects you're running it through. Just for added info, though, cranking the treble and mid didn't give me any additional hiss. Acoustically and amped, this bass has the clear, full sound of a grand piano with just a little fret grind (not to be confused with pesky, problematic, poor action-related fret buzz). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where things really get into matters of personal preference.The factory setup was completely perfect, at least for me...not too low and not too high. Also, the pickups were adjusted just right for me, too. I like to ride the pickups like a Willis ramp, and they're adjusted just right to do so without being too close to the strings and impeding string vibration. The ONLY flaw I could note upon first inspection/impression and playing the hell out of it in the store where I bought it was that the e.q. knobs weren't aligned. When you flat the e.q., you can see the screws that hold the knobs on at different positions....MINOR detail, especially if you don't flat the e.q...but hell, that's probably just the Jarhead in me. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Will the guitar withstand live playing? Good question. I'm between bands right now so I've only played live with it once. This being said, however, the only times I've read bad reviews about withstanding live playing were from people that really gave the impression that they did NOT take care of their instruments and were rather rough with them. I thrash like a madman when I play, sometimes I even get into it that much when I'm just practicing, and that's never caused a single problem for any instrument I've ever owned. This bass doesn't give the impression of fragility in the least so I have to say this: it's most likely just like any other product you could possibly own. Take care of it and it will take care of you. // 8

Overall Impression: Metal is my poison of choice (all types), but I've played all types of music from country to radio rock to death metal. I can get any tone I want out of this bass so it's a good match for just about anything. Even with the uber-metal looks of the tribal flame bridge and downward tilted horns, the gorgeous wood and finish could offset those features, so yeah...hella good match. I've been playing various instruments for about 22 years, and damn, this bass is what I've been waiting for the whole time. I tested out basses that I only wish I had the money for costing 2 to 3 times as much (Warwick, Spector, Music Man etc.) even after purchasing this Traben, and they did not compare sound and feel-wise acoustically or plugged in. If my Traben were ever stolen, it would be hunted and the thief MERCILESSLY dealt with. If it were lost I would do anything I possibly could to replace it. I'm a poor bastard, and I would sell, like...ALL of my plasma to get the funds. I absolutely LOVE this bass more than any I have owned and any bass I have tried. The ONLY thing I would change is the battery cover. // 9

Comments