Array Limited 4 Review

9.5
 2,734
review (1) 21 comments vote for this gear:
Array Limited 4 Reviewed by: UG Team, on september 12, 2007

Features: Exotic woods are normally reserved only for high-end hand made basses. The Traben Limited provides the great tone and appearance of exotic woods on a working man's (or woman's) bass. The current Traben Limiteds feature spalted maple or zebrawood. You get all of the great features of Traben Basses (including the Bigger Bridge, Bigger Tone benefit) along with the upgrade of exotic woods. // 9

Sound: I play almost exclusively classic metal when playing bass (Ozzy Osbourne, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath) and this bass is perfect for that. I played it through an SWR Workman amp and it had a great bassy and full sound, perfect for playing stuff like Black Sabbath. If you turn the treble up on the bass too high rather than volume it tends to sound harsh (this held true with multiple amps not just the SWR). I did try the bass through various styles (pick, finger, slap, hybrid) and it sounded great with all of them, slap bass was notably easy to perform on this bass as well. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was set-up quite well on this bass, straight out of the factory it had low action with no largely noticeable fret buzz. The neck pickup was a bit loose but not to the point where a shop visit would be needed to fix it. The EQ knobs were a bit scratchy if you adjusted them with the amp on but it could easily be fixed with a can of compressed air. The top, neck, nut, and fret wire weren't damaged or messed up in any way so no major flaws could be found on this bass. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This bass is definitely gig-worthy. I most likely wouldn't gig it without a backup bass but that's more due to my paranoia than a lack of trust in this bass. I'm quite sure it could withstand gigging for multiple shows. The strap buttons were very solid and held on to the strap ends quite well. I can't say for sure on the finish since I only played it in-store but it definitely seemed that it would hold up for a decent amount of time without becoming scratched up and worn looking. // 9

Overall Impression: As I mentioned before, I play metal mainly and this bass is a great match. It goes well with my Ampeg BA112, and though I don't actually own this bass, it's definitely on my list instruments I'd like to own. While I was at the store I also played an Ernie Ball Stingray and a Schecter Studio 5 string. For the price you'd pay, I'd probably go with the Traben, it's in the affordable price range and it's got incredible tone and quality. Definitely worth buying. // 10

Comments