Array Limited 5 review by Traben

Traben: Array Limited 5

Purchased from: GigGear

This bass sounds like a beast. The 3 band EQ system can get a huge range of tones out, and the humbucker/soapbar pickups are great for a fat, smoother bass sound, however you CAN get pretty much any tone you want from this bass. I play my Traben through a Line 6 spider III guitar amp (I couldnt afford a seperate bass amp), but on green clean and with a bit of chorus and reverb I get a really really nice sound. The tone is DARK, but by turning up the treble and turning down the bass, you can get a good slap tone and a general brighter sound. One thing I don't like about the bass is that it buzzes slightly on the bottom B string around the first few frets. Other than that, sound is almost perfect! And it is TRUE what Traben say about the bigger bridge, bigger tone. No doubt about that!

I play METAL... And rock, but this bass totally suits both styles perfectly. Its an agressive looking, and sounding bass. Not for any mellow stuff, just power and punch! This is my second bass guitar, however I've tried out loads in the stores before and this one stood out for me so much. For a good price, it is one hella' lot of bass. I even compared it to a Warwick corvette $$ 5, and the tones come pretty close! If it were stolen I would without question, buy me another one. I love it THAT much. Often when I get bored, I get creative and design my very own custom guitars. My ideal picture would be the array, but with MEC humbuckers, black harware, matt white finish and black outlines, and a 3-way Switch. Hopefully in time I might just get that, but until then this bass is definetley the one for me!

This thing has hit walls and been dropped a few times aswell, and has endured it all without leaving a single dent or scratch. I haven't played it at any live shows, but at practices it has been messed around with quite a lot, and has come out good as new. The hardware is all good quality, and I'm pretty sure its going to last a LONG time. I can realy rely on this bass, I'd probabaly take it to a gig without backup. The finish is great. Good enough to last for sure.

The action is really great. When I bought it, the neck was bowed very very slightly up, which caused the B string notes to deaden after 3rd fret, but I quickly got this fixed by the local guitar shop. The pickups came perfectly adjusted. The basswood body is quite heavy, but very very VERY durable. The control knobs were a bit loose. I haven't sorted it out yet, but they're hanging on quite nicely at the moment.

The Traben Array Limited 5 string bass guitar has a load of great features: * 5 String * Traben tribal flame bigger bridge * Bolt on construction * Traben sm combo - humbucker and soapbar style pickups * Traben t3 active pre-amp * Three-band eq with volume and blend * Basswood body * Spalted Maple top * Rosewood fretboard * Brass nut * Abalone dot inlays When I bought mine a gig bag wasn't included, so on a budget I got a soft case with it for an extra 15.

sjilie
    but i would have to disagree with "its not for mellow stuff". if u turn the bass knob up and treble down u can get a chill reggae bass tone. i think its a very all-around bass. the punch is sick though
    Shinozoku
    With the right EQ almost any bass can do mellow stuff Same with guitars. I want the regular Array 5 though...
    Slap_Happens
    Chris Schementi
    I bet it plays and sounds great, but I really dislike the shape...especially the flames by the bridge. looks like a good bass though.
    TheTortured
    Slap_Happens wrote: Not to knock the reviewer, but I have doubts about his validity of the opinion on sound. He's playing it through a low end solid state guitar amp.
    ...that should only help to prove his point. if he can get a sick tone on the wrong amp, just imagine what's going to happen on the right amp.
    Vypor
    Im so pissed I didnt get one of these trabens a few years ago. When i was looking for my first bass I saw a bunch of these for REALLY cheap on ebay. The specs just sounded to good to be true, and I hadnt ever heard of traben before(They were just emerging) and the prices on ebay were cheap becuase they were trying to promote the brand. I passed up on the deals and got a pawnshop bass, and as the years pass it just continues to reflect my bad decision. Cool basses.
    sjilie
    for those who did not know bootsy collins uses traben and has a signature model
    Angrypacman
    So does John Moyer from Disturbed.
    SOADriff
    Angrypacman wrote: sjilie wrote: for those who did not know bootsy collins uses traben and has a signature model So does John Moyer from Disturbed.
    HELL YEAH.
    TANKER69
    you will destroy that amp, guitar speakers can't handle bass frequencies
    ppunkrokMr
    i had this bass and loved it. i played through a gk backline 600 and swr bass 350 both atop 6x10's(at seperate times) and got great tone. cutting the mids, bass just above the 0 notch and trebble at 0 gave me the best metal tone ive ever herd. i could also boost the trebble and put in on the soapbar only and get smooth r&b tones. i do have to say however, i prefer my mexican 5 string jazz much better. the neck on the traben is chunky and the b sting is really flabby. at a low b or drop a, you want as much tension as possible
    Shinozoku
    BucketHayden wrote: fugly bridge
    Correction: Sexy bridge that looks sexier on the matte black version :p
    takingitallback
    I bought a line 6 lowdown 175W amp now, for the bass and it sounds 100x better than through my guitar amp, id recommend the combination to anyone. And i was wrong about the mellow tone, turning the bass way down and the treble up loads, you can get some great chilllled tones.