V940 review by Vintage

• Reviewer's score: 5.8 Decent
Vintage: V940

Purchased from: Second Hand Shop

Its sound is more fluid than punchy, Which doesnt't't suit my technique filled metal playing. I do use an Ashdown Perfect Ten (Unsure on model) with it, and Ashdown are very, very good with amps. it's a very full, rich sound, Very good for melodic sequences. It sound quite fun with slap bass, It always make people smile when I play slap on this Bass. But the Active Electronics are a Major Letdown, Which break the sound up after long periods of playing.

If you need a good practice bass for melodic sequences then this is the bass for you. I have had this bass for 1 Year and it has bored me. I'm saving up for a highly reliable bass. If it were stolen I would go out and get a 60 Stagg to be honest. I wouldn't pay 100 for this bass.

It wont be able to withstand much Live playing. The Hardware seems in good shape, it should last a while. The strap buttons needed screwing in a bit though. I wouldn't use this at a gig without a backup, It would fail me. THe finish seems reasonable however.

When I bought the bass, I was horrified, THe pickups where very loose, I screwed them in and the buzzing stopped. The Bridge is well put on. The nut was poorly cut, The Tuning pegs are extremely loose. Making it a challenge to tune to drop D because after playing on the E string for too long (5 mins) it goes down 1/2 step!

This Bass has a wonderful 24 Fret (2 Octave) Fretboard and unfortunatly quite a thick neck. I purchased a Black Laminated top Bass. It has a Rosewood Fretboard and maple body, Neck and headstock, Which goes well with the Black Hardware. A very basic shape which I personnally quite like. It uses Active Electronics which are a major letdown because on stage they can cut out and make a clicking noise. So I recomend not performing with this bass. It has a 1 x Volume/ 1 x Balance/ Bass/ Treble Controls and a Adjustable /Raised Tail Bridge. This Bass uses Wilkinson Split Coil x 1/ JZ x 1 (M)WPBE500 (B)WPBE900 Pickups and Wilkinson WJB150 Tuners.

Corkybristol
    Bought second hand and expect it to perform like a new one? Welcome to real life. As a guitar tech, NOTHING on here isn't easily fixable, and yes, this bass is better put together than many others. Of course it won't fall apart on a gig, or are you beating it into the stage? I've tried one and they are very good for the money, this person just needs to learn how to set his bass up properly, no good having expensive gear if you can't work it. The active electronics break up after a long period of time? Put a decent battery in it then, you're getting voltage drop! Nut poorly cut? Fender's nuts are awful sometimes. You'd buy a Stagg in preference to this? Sorry, but you're having a laugh.
    emery01
    I didn't think that having 24 frets makes it a two octave intstrument. It'd be waaaay more that two, would it not?
    Myx4o
    Frankly speaking, it says "2 octave fretboard" which means you can play two whole octaves on each string. So from this point it is correct. But with all four strings it is more than 2 octaves - 4 octaves + 3 additional semitones (F,F# and G in standard tuning) to be exact. Other than that guitars made by Vintage are good for their price and excellent for beginners and intermediate players - good for rehearsals and gigs.
    Alien00
    I have this bass since 4 years now. This is the best bass you can get in this price range. Very versatile choice of sounds and very good sounds, deep or clear, great handling and nice comfortable neck. A lot of bass for very little money
    s.verbeeck2
    I have the five string version (v950b), and it also has a poorly cut nut (at the g string - fixed with some rubber). But it is a well designed and crafted bass for the price in every other aspect. Sounds very bright, but others would call it metallic and dislike that... probably caused by the bubinga wood the body is made of (not maple - that's the neck).
    guitar-name
    I've got one of these that I bought as a factory "second" for £130 brand new. The active electronics were noisy,which I presume was the reason for it being a second. I had the actives bypassed or disconnected and now it's fantastic. Perfect intonation all the way up to the 24th and easy action without any need for a set up {great for a guitarist that dabbles with bass) I love the finish on the Bublinga wood.Great instrument, definately good enough to gig,holds its tuning well,can't fault it. When they came out they were pretty pricey, £379 as I recall. If you need a bass and see one at under £150 second hand,check it out.