V940 Review

manufacturer: Vintage date: 10/21/2008 category: Bass Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Vintage: V940
Neat and unobtrusive, the four-rotary control cluster on the Vintage V940/950 Series Bass offers volume and balance, with active bass and treble EQ controls. Central detentes on the rotary control travel offer a useful neutral' reference point for EQ and pickup balance.
 5.5
 5.8
 5.2
 2,016
review (1) 7 comments vote for this gear:
V940 Reviewed by: ShredderA7X, on october 21, 2008

Purchased from: Second Hand Shop

Features: This Bass has a wonderful 24 Fret (2 Octave) Fretboard and unfortunatly quite a thick neck. I purchased a Black Laminated top Bass. It has a Rosewood Fretboard and maple body, Neck and headstock, Which goes well with the Black Hardware. A very basic shape which I personnally quite like. It uses Active Electronics which are a major letdown because on stage they can cut out and make a clicking noise. So I recomend not performing with this bass. It has a 1 x Volume/ 1 x Balance/ Bass/ Treble Controls and a Adjustable /Raised Tail Bridge. This Bass uses Wilkinson Split Coil x 1/ JZ x 1 (M)WPBE500 (B)WPBE900 Pickups and Wilkinson WJB150 Tuners. // 9

Sound: Its sound is more fluid than punchy, Which doesnt't't suit my technique filled metal playing. I do use an Ashdown Perfect Ten (Unsure on model) with it, and Ashdown are very, very good with amps. it's a very full, rich sound, Very good for melodic sequences. It sound quite fun with slap bass, It always make people smile when I play slap on this Bass. But the Active Electronics are a Major Letdown, Which break the sound up after long periods of playing. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought the bass, I was horrified, THe pickups where very loose, I screwed them in and the buzzing stopped. The Bridge is well put on. The nut was poorly cut, The Tuning pegs are extremely loose. Making it a challenge to tune to drop D because after playing on the E string for too long (5 mins) it goes down 1/2 step! // 4

Reliability & Durability: It wont be able to withstand much Live playing. The Hardware seems in good shape, it should last a while. The strap buttons needed screwing in a bit though. I wouldn't use this at a gig without a backup, It would fail me. THe finish seems reasonable however. // 4

Overall Impression: If you need a good practice bass for melodic sequences then this is the bass for you. I have had this bass for 1 Year and it has bored me. I'm saving up for a highly reliable bass. If it were stolen I would go out and get a 60 Stagg to be honest. I wouldn't pay 100 for this bass. // 5

More Vintage reviews rating category latest review
+ V100 8.8 Electric Guitars 09/30/2015