Corvette Double Buck review by Warwick

Warwick: Corvette Double Buck

The sonic possibilities that this bass bring are varied and completely unique. While other basses have similar double humbucker designs none of them seem to be as thick or as full as this bass. Even playing through a small setup this bass is still incredibly deep and full sounding. The deep rich tones are beautifully complimented by crisp, clear but often harsh, high end. What really puts this bass over the top are the dual coil switches. When they are switched forward (toward the EQ knobs) both pickups are working in series. This produces a very bright thin tone, such as is often found in metal. When they are switched to the rear the humbuckers are split. This gives the effect of having four single coil pickups. This creates an incredibly smooth mellow sound while still marinating the integrity of the high end of the instrument. However you like your tone, vast sonic possibilities are at your disposal from the moment you plug this bass in.

What this bass might lack in uniqueness of design, it more than compensates for with a wide range of sonic possibilities combined with completely new, unique, thick sound. While there are some minor flaws present (mostly in the Strap Loks) they all dull in comparison to the splendor of the bass as a whole.

While swamp Ash is a fairly light and delicate wood, in the context of this bass, it is very stable and substantial feeling, without being overly heavy. In my opinion it is one of the most optimal woods for luithering. The Ovangkol neck and Wenge fretboard combination is a fairly new one. However I think that is just as solid, and may prove to be superior to the old maple and rosewood combination. The tuners on this bass are solid as a rock. They are custom made by Warwick. Probably the weakest part of the combination is the Strap Loks. The screws were literally pulling away from the body after less than 2 weeks of very light use. Beside this minor flaw, this bass is beautifully luithered to last a lifetime.

This and all Warwick basses are beautifully made and produced. This bass is no exception to the rule. While the action is set a little bit higher than I like it, which is easily remedied. This especially thanks to the new Just-A-Nut III. This allows you to raise and lower the height of the nut without taking off the strings, and some major repairs. This reissue of the nut actually works! The finish is beautifully applied, and appears to be very solid.

While the Corvette Double Buck shares the Warwick family look, that's about where the similarities end. The double humbucking MEC Pickups put this instrument in a class of it's own. Those massive pickups are housed in a beautiful swamp Ash body with accompanying Ovangkol neck and Wenge fretboard. In addition to the massive pickups and beautiful workmanship, this bass also sports it's own universe of tonal controls and variances. The volume controls doubles as a push/pull mid scoop Switch. The mid scoop function is supposed to keep the edge off normally harsher slap tones. I think that mostly it robs the bass of thickness of tone. Accompanying the volume/mid scoop pot is a 3 band graphic equalizer. The treble knob seems to accentuate mostly the hard, tinny frequencies of the high end. However this is more than compensated for by the subtle genius of the mid control, and the deep roar of the bass control. To add to the sonic flexibility given by the 3 band equalizer, this bass also offers dual coil taps, one for each pickup. These open up a whole other range of sonic possibilities.

Mr. Brawl
    I'll possibly be choosing this bass as a graduation present. I don't know why there seems to be so much disapproval of Warwicks, but they sure are nice basses to play. Whenever I go to Guitar Center I pick up a Warwick Corvette, but next time I'll have to try this one out. It sounds like a bass for me, other than a Fender Jazz!
    Jateca
    I'm confused by this review, have warwick changed the design of the $$? I own a 5 string bolt-neck version and it definitely does not have a 3 band EQ (the knobs are volume, pickup pan, treble +/- and bass +/. Also the push/pull pot is not a mid-scoop, it's a bypass for the active circuitry. I've checked on http://www.warwickbass.com/basses/double... and also warwick.de and those say the same thing.
    Selvinator
    The article said that the bass has a really harsh high end, but I'd have to disagree because I've owned a Corvette Double-Buck for awhile, and even when I play with my treble all the way up on my GK amp, the high isn't exactly harsh, in fact the highs on this bass are awesome. This bass is REALLY loud too, I'd suggest screwing the pickups a little bit further into the bass to take off a bit of the gain. The lows on the bass are amazing. I've never really heard such a deep growl from anything else except maybe the B string on a 5-string Stingray. Also I've never had a problem with the strap-lock system that came with mine, I think the author of the article just got a bad strap-lock system or something. It's got a really nice finish too.
    Selvinator
    Also, I'd have to agree with Jateca. The volume knob doesn't double as a mid scoop (at least not on the Double-Buck I have). You pull the volume knob out to turn the active electronics off, and you push it back in to turn them on.
    bassbrotha
    Haunted_Shell wrote: Naw man, after owning 8 basses and playing about 1000 I can say from my experience and opinion that Wawicks are okay, but not worth how much they cost. So many better basses, if you're going to spend that much cash, go with a Carvin or a Wal
    true man, i find that warwicks are over priced. If your looking for the same quality but lower priced (mid 1000's), look for a spector bass (the company warwick COPIED). Like the euro rebop model of spector plays a lot better than the corvette show here (tried them both at the same time).
    osborowitch
    i love this bass i own for about a year and i dont regeret it at all. it sound great! and feels good
    heavyinmind
    the sound example was great it sounds very good...i love the colour and the shape of the bass great!
    Huffman
    qotsa1998 wrote: BTBAM_7 wrote: does shector have anything to do with spector? like epiphone is to gibson maybe Not a thing. Both are very different. Spectors are often Czech-made, while Spectors are normally jap/chinese/korean etc. or American(?) made.
    schecter (i asume thats was u meant when u said specter the second time) are all made in korea, except custom models are made in califonia. alll beauty guitars though!
    Überbassist333
    looks kick ass but the cuaways are too small comapred to the huge body almost like a gibson sg junior xp
    Bassist 101
    I dunno It looks bad in this picture i would like to see one with some paint on in maybe a black or a deep blood red
    qotsa1998
    BTBAM_7
    does shector have anything to do with spector? like epiphone is to gibson maybe
    corrda00
    Nice bass. All it needs is several large spikes, a mat-black finish and massive uber- BOod/ gore design and then its perfect.
    strat0blaster
    Warwick makes killer basses, but none of which I'd pay 2 grand for. Sorry. You can get great tone out of a good bass and a good amp without dropping 2k on one bass. IF you're gonna drop that kinda money, a Thumb Bass is the only way to go.
    filthylittleboy
    uhm, warwicks are SICK they sound so nice, but I'd get a different body shape if i found the same pickup layout as this... I loved the creamy tone I got out of it off of the shelf...
    t3hrav3n
    Deliriumbassist wrote: I'm still torn between getting my custom Warwick as a $$ or a STD with MM/J config
    I say the MM/J, you'd get more tones out of it. Plus, you don't see that config that much and you'd be super-cool with it.
    Deliriumbassist
    Unfortunately Wal's aren't currently in production, and you really don't see many for sale these days. I'm still torn between getting my custom Warwick as a $$ or a STD with MM/J config
    AdamOnDrums
    tried one of theese at a guitar center not so long ago. really cool, got that great "metal" sound, but i dont really like the look of it
    Haunted_Shell