Corvette Standard 5-String Bass Review

manufacturer: Warwick date: 07/06/2006 category: Bass Guitars
Warwick: Corvette Standard 5-String Bass
The body of the Corvette Standard consists of two or three pieces of bubinga. With its shape, ergonomics and sound the Corvette Standard satisfies the aspirations of the most demanding of bass players. The switchable, active MEC 2-way electronics combine with the MEC pickup combination and three controls to provide flexible tone control, whether in the studio or on stage.
 9.4
 8.5
 7,855
review (1) pictures (1) 24 comments vote for this gear:
Corvette Standard 5-String Bass Reviewed by: jolof96, on july 06, 2006

Features: My bass is a 2005 Warwick Corvette Standard 5-String made in Germany. It has a fat 24 fret neck which is a bolt-on, and is made of ovangkol with a wenge fretboard, which has no markings. The body is solid bubinga which makes the bass really heavy to play. The bridge is a standard 2 piece Warwick bridge and it has grover style tuners on the headstock. // 9

Sound: Because this bass has 2 MEC jazz pickups, the bass can handle anything you throw at it soundwise. It has one volume knob, one pickup selector knob, a double layer bass/treble boost/cut and a preamp bypass feature, ctivated by pulling up the volume knob. The equalisation can be adjusted to give you thin tinny sounds for funk, standard tones for your punk, and pounding bass for metal. I'm using the bass with a 100watt Stagg amp, which is amazing, because when you hit your open B string you just feel the rumble. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup on this bass is amazing the action is perfect for sting tension. I play my bass in BBF#BE (I love Mudvayne) and the string tension is still amazing. At first I thought the volume knob was loose, but I realised that this was the bypass feature, all of the bridge, nut and tuning pegs were fine. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have gigged with this bass several times and it has never let me down. The strap buttins are huge and solid, so I never need to worry about the bass dropping. When gigging I use it without a backup. The only flaw is that the finish on the body is thin, so it can mark pretty easily, which kinda pisses you off when you payed so much for the bass. // 8

Overall Impression: I love this bass, it suits anything played on it. I have playing 3 years and I also have an Epiphone Thunderbird IV. The bass came with a hard case, which I needed for transporting the bass back to england because I bought it on holiday. When I bought this I also tried the Warwick Thumb which I would of bought but it was an extra 1200 dollars and a Spector Euro bass. If anything happened to this bass I would definately buy it again but I know I wouldn't be able to afford it. // 10

Comments