Corvette Standard Fretless review by Warwick

Warwick: Corvette Standard Fretless

Purchased from: CARUSO MUSIC

I can and will play many styles of music, thought it fits best with newer Paul Simon, BNL and Dave Matthews Band stuff. I play through and old Fender head and 1x15 + 2x10 cabinet with no effects. The sound is very variable, from a deep rumble, a woody growl or poppin' highs.

I have been playing 45 years, since 1965 and this bass fits all the old and new music even though it is fretless. If I want a more 60's or 70's sound I use a pick on GHS flatwound strings. I love everything about this bass. I often have people ask what it is since there is only a small "W" on the headstock and most people (even musicians) have not ever seen a Warwick. My only other bass is a 1979 US made Precision bass.

I play live and often. Yes it will and has lasted. I never take a backup bass. If I pick up a fill in gig I always let them know in advance that this is all I use. I replaced the straps buttons with Strap-Locks. On the yearly check up the luthier oils the body and neck along with any minor adjustments as needed.

Action, fit and finish are flawless and kept that way with a yearly check-up from the neck up at my local luthier. With this much wood and deep bass screws loosen over time. He also shielded the potentiometer cavity and input jack. The bass was quiet before but is silent now. When I record there is no extraneous noise.

I have had this bass since '94 and love it. Everything about it is perfect (but very heavy). It is a made in Germany model with black hardware and passive electronics. Ths Switch from my '79 Fender P-Bass was no problem at all. Now this is all I play. It came with a hard shell case.