Corvette Standard Fretless Review

manufacturer: Warwick date: 02/02/2011 category: Bass Guitars
Warwick: Corvette Standard Fretless
The popular Corvette body shape, known worldwide, of 2 piece alder lends graceful curves and a solid foundation to provide both thundering lows and distinct highs in an instrument that is just as much fun to play as it is to look at it.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Features: 9.7
 8.9
 9.3
 8.4
 3,490
reviews (3) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Corvette Standard Fretless Reviewed by: punkbass479, on august 17, 2005

Features: It was fretless but it had room for around 24 frets, like any other Warwick. Rosewood unlined fingerboard. Natural finish. Either alder or mahogony, I dunno. 2 volume and 1 tone control. Standard single coil bass pickups. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was well setup, nothing too bad to say. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It probably would withstand a lotta live use, but I'd never use it live. It doesn't fit my style, but jazz/funk/R&B players will love this. It's very dependable. // 10

Overall Impression: Not a good match for me, but it is truly a great bass, if you are into jazz, funk or R&B, pick this up. Play it, love it. // 8

Corvette Standard Fretless Reviewed by: LoveThyBass, on january 28, 2008

Features: This bass was made in Germany. It is fretless but it could fit 14 frets, the neck is average size, not to long or wide, not to thin or short. The wood of the body is Swamp Ash, and the neck wood is Ovangkol. The finish is Nirvana Black Oil. The body style is double cutaway. The electronics are passive. Tere is a volume and 2 tone controls. There are 2 MEC J/J pickups. The bass came with a really nice gig bag, users guide, polishing cloth, allen wrench keys, and lock straps. // 9

Sound: I play many styles of music myself and this bass was perfect for me. I play mostly Pop Punk, Punk, Rock, Funk, Jazz, Blues, and techno. I have 2 bass's that are good mostly for the Rock part of my playing so I needed something different. This bass has a nice deep full sound to it. It always sounds good with however I adjust it, it turns out to be what I want. Wether I want a more twangy sound, or a deep sound. I use a Zoom B2 pedal, and I play through an Ampeq, Behringer, and Hartke. I think it sounds best out of the Ampeq. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first got it it was perfectly put together, the action was perfect for me. The tuning pegs were tightly put in they don't wiggle at all. The pickups are perfectly rested in place. It was even in tune when I tryed it out at guitar center, imagine that. I don't like how small the lock straps were that came with it, it was such a pain to get it on my strap, kus my strap is think and the locks were pretty small. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I never use this bass at any of my shows with my band 2AM, only because I go insane and I don't want anything happening to it. But I do play it Live at my school and other small shows like that. I can rely on it at a show for hours on end. It never gives up on me. I never have to worry about it denting because it seems pretty solid and strong, although the finish isnt very good against scratching, it does scratch easily I found. Everytime I play it or let someone else play it, they can't wear a chain and thier shirt has to be long enough to go over thier belt buckle, and also if there's any metal on thier pants. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, I love this bass with all my heart. It's my third bass and for where I am in my music career I have to say it's perfect. My next choice would probably be a Fender Jazz, or a Fender Jaguar. My favorite part about it is probably the fact that it's fretless, wich is wat I was looking for when I was looking for this bass. I find it pointless to get basses that have just the same setup as other basses you have. I have a 5-string, a normal 4-string, and now a 4-string fretless, I want maybe a jaguar next because of all the different capabilitys in sound that it offers, it doesn't just have one sound, or I would want a 6-string jazz bass next. But overall this is by far my favorite bass that I own so far. // 9

Corvette Standard Fretless Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 02, 2011

Purchased from: CARUSO MUSIC

Features: I have had this bass since '94 and love it. Everything about it is perfect (but very heavy). It is a made in Germany model with black hardware and passive electronics. Ths Switch from my '79 Fender P-Bass was no problem at all. Now this is all I play. It came with a hard shell case. // 10

Sound: I can and will play many styles of music, thought it fits best with newer Paul Simon, BNL and Dave Matthews Band stuff. I play through and old Fender head and 1x15 + 2x10 cabinet with no effects. The sound is very variable, from a deep rumble, a woody growl or poppin' highs. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action, fit and finish are flawless and kept that way with a yearly check-up from the neck up at my local luthier. With this much wood and deep bass screws loosen over time. He also shielded the potentiometer cavity and input jack. The bass was quiet before but is silent now. When I record there is no extraneous noise. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I play live and often. Yes it will and has lasted. I never take a backup bass. If I pick up a fill in gig I always let them know in advance that this is all I use. I replaced the straps buttons with Strap-Locks. On the yearly check up the luthier oils the body and neck along with any minor adjustments as needed. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing 45 years, since 1965 and this bass fits all the old and new music even though it is fretless. If I want a more 60's or 70's sound I use a pick on GHS flatwound strings. I love everything about this bass. I often have people ask what it is since there is only a small "W" on the headstock and most people (even musicians) have not ever seen a Warwick. My only other bass is a 1979 US made Precision bass. // 10

Comments