Corvette Classic 5-String Review

manufacturer: Warwick RockBass date: 03/27/2012 category: Bass Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Warwick RockBass: Corvette Classic 5-String
The RockBass Corvette, available in a gloss black or transparent blue gloss finish, is sure to please any musician without draining their pocketbooks.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 Features: 9.5
 6.9
 9.8
 5,165
reviews (2) pictures (2) 7 comments vote for this gear:
Corvette Classic 5-String Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 10, 2004

Features: Active MEC pickups, 2-band active electronics, 2-piece alder body, Scale: 34", Warwick Red Label M strings, bolt-on neck, Rosewood fingerboard, String spacing: 16.5mm, RockBass one-piece bridge, plus it uses a 9-volt battery. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This is sooo great to play almost orgasmic. Mine is black, the pickups are great, it's the greatest thing to play if you find it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't really had the chance to play it live but when I practice with it I put it through a test. I can do the old 80s guitar throw and I've hit the wall and it still stays in tune and sounds great. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is a kick ass bass and every 4 stringer making the jump to get a 5 string get this you won't be dissapointed. // 10

Corvette Classic 5-String Reviewed by: reaper08, on march 27, 2012

Price paid: A$ 1049

Purchased from: HaworthGuitars

Features: Germany always seems to design and create beautiful basses, and this is sure a finishing touch from Warwick. This 24 fret, Alder body, Maple neck, Rosewood fingerboard 5-string bass from Warwick features 2 Active MEC J/J pickups with 2-way electronics. The bass also features Warwick Security locks, a one piece bridge and a bolt on neck. The fingerboard measures at 500mm (20") and the scale length reaches about 34". // 9

Sound: I've played in many different bands each differing in styles and genres. I can say with confidence this bass suites about anything you can throw at it. Funk, Metal, Rock, Soul, Punk, Latin, Electronic, Ska, just to name a few. I use this bass with a Line 6 LowDown 300W bass amp and Line 6 FBV Effects pedal. The LD can really transform the sound this bass produces especially on the effect labelled "Brit". I use this with a full High Mid tone, medium Drive as to get that "piggish" effect similar to death metal bassists like Alex Webster, without distorting the sound. I have bass facing about 3 o'clock and treble around 4 o'clock. But I've played this baby on a variety of amps, both active and passive inputs and it sounds amazing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was perfect when I purchased it, however the B string needed to be raised a tad so it could drone. The pickups sound brilliant, MEC and Warwick work together efficiently. The finish was perfect and every dial/control worked fine. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I played my High School Certificate Music Performance using this bass, as well as a few more gigs, and this bass has not let me down. As long as you look after it, it will look after your performance. I dust it and polish it which also proved how quality the finish is, I have yet to scratch or bump this bass. The strap buttons are solid and reliable, however due to the weight of this bass, I've stretched a few strap holes, but I improvised by sewing around the hole which creates pressure and resistance from the weight of the bass on the strap. I've never used or needed a backup with this bass, it is totally dependable. // 10

Overall Impression: Whilst with my death metal project, this bass stood out over all other instruments regarding tone. It has such a good mid variety when plucked/slapped/finger picked with force. I usually play with my fingers or slap, but whether or not you use a pick you will be satisfied. I've been playing bass for about 9 years now, and I've owned this bass for a year and a half. I also own a Squire P-Bass, a Fender Jazz and an unnamed Yamaha bass (due to losing the receipt). I would most definitely buy it again, although the price range above is $1049, I actually got it bargained down to $839 due a previous sale on all metal basses, and because I was friends with the guy who is in charge of selling the basses. I just overall love this bass but most of all the MEC pickups on it. // 10

More Warwick RockBass reviews rating category latest review