Corvette Standard 4-String review by Warwick RockBass

Warwick RockBass: Corvette Standard 4-String

Price paid: C$ 400

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Before buying a bass I literally shopped around for months. With my limited budged I could only really afford to look at Ibanez's, Epiphones etc. This stands head and shoulders above all those. You can get great tonal variety through the controls, and the pickups deliver that nice jazz bass punch. I found it to be comparable to Fender Jazz's, higher end Ibanez's, and sounded almost exactly like its German counterpart.

This guitar is near perfect out of the box. Honestly for $400 and a little bit of tweaking, you're getting a bass that can hold its own with basses that are triple its price. This is THE bass for a musician on a budget, you just can't the same quality from a similarly priced Ibanez (and I'm not bashing Ibanez, they ARE good basses! ). If it were stolen I would ABSOLUTELY buy it again, even if I had $1200 to spend. I'd put that extra money toward something worth it, like a new amp.

This thing is SOLID. Once I took care of the wiring and little stuff, I couldn't find anything that worries me. It also comes with strap locks, so that's a plus. I DO gig without a backup, and I haven't been let down. I worry more about my pedals or amp crapping out on me than this thing.

The action and set up was lacking, as you can expect from a guitar that got shipped halfway around the world in a box straight to your door. Honestly almost every guitar you purchase will have to be set up by a luthier, or by yourself if you know how to do it (its easy. The year is 2011 and you have google, you should be able to figure it out unless your guitar is REALLY out of whack). Also the wiring was crap and the jack was loose. Kinda disappointing to have to fix right after buying but keep in mind it IS a $400 guitar.

This review is for a 2011 Rockbass Corvette. Not to be confused with a German made corvette. Apparently the rockbasses are assembled in China for Warwick. It has 24 frets with a 34' scale. The body is made with Alder, which is far from the exotic woods you'll find in a German Warwick, but surprisingly the wood grain and honey violin finish look great. WAY better than other $400 basses you can find. The hardware and electronics are literally the exact same as you'll find on a $1500 Warwick, except for the fret wire which is not brass. Same MEC pickups in jazz config, same bridge, same tuners. Has the Adjust-a-nut 3. It can come in either passive or active, I went for active. Has volume, pickup blender, treble boost/cut and bass boost/cut. Comes with Warwicks patented strap locks. The only thing I found wasn't up to par was the wiring. Shoddy soldering on the jack and pots, they both crackle.

Deliriumbassist
    ^ Warwick Corvettes have been Korean made since 2010. I think Korea... or Indonesia. Far East anyways. Snd the price has hiked. German Corvettes were one of the biggest bargains in the bass world- Warwick barely broke even on them apparently.
    MT_Obsidian
    Ghefly wrote: Judging by the price on some of these reviews I think people are reviewing the Warwick Corvette as oppose to the Warwick Rockbass Corvette, made in Germany and Japan respectively. Mind you, my Corvette is awesome, the only thing I dislike is the frets are quite large and the neck is very long and thick.
    Yeah, I got that confused when I wrote my review a while back.
    Deliriumbassist
    ^In respect to your review, you shouldn't need to worry about the finish fading/getting dull. You should find you need to wax it less and less over time. I tend to wax every flrtnight though, as my Corvette is a custom with a swirly bubinga top, and has a shimmering beeswing effect, which only comes through when in high lustre.
    Vypor
    One day, I will own a warwick. In my eyes, they are the Gibson LP Customs of basses, in terms of quality. I know they aren't made in the U.S.A. so some people will be anal about that comparison(And some people don't agree that Gibson LPs are quality) But damn man these basses are so solid. When your holding one you just know that it was made for the long road.