Streamer LX 4-String Review

5,710
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Streamer LX 4-String Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 25, 2011

Purchased from: Furtado's Music

Features: I bought this bass in 2009, it is a 2009 model of the streamer lx which was made in China. It has 24 frets on a bolt-on neck 34 inches long. The neck is made of maple and the fingerboard with rosewood, the body is made of carolena. It's a light bass and I've had no problems with the neck whatsoever. It has a high polish finish which wears out really easy and is susceptible to scratches. It comes with a two-piece Warwick bridge that can be adjusted quite easily with allen keys. My bass has the Warwick just-a-nut 3. This nut gave me quite a few problems for the first few months, it has a floating piece that can be raised or lowered, the screws which are used for this purpose wore out the inside of the nut an I can no longer raise the nut form one side. // 8

Sound: I play a lot of stuff, I'm still deciding the kind of music I want to play but this bass seems to be able to pull off just about anything I dabble in but where it really shines is the blues, progressive rock (Tool, King Crimson) and some classic rock-ish tunes. The pick ups can give you a lot of distinction or the incredibly bass heavy tone you may want. I am currently using a Marshall MB15 and play it through my own pedalboard which has the DigiTech XBD, the Boss CS-3 and the Boss CE-5. I mainly play fingerstyle but when required I play with a pick as well, personally I prefer the fingerstyle tone but picking isn't so bad either. The Bridge Jazz pickup can sometimes be noisy. I often feel that the treble when not cut down is annoying as well, it makes my bass sound like crap. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set perfectly at the store, the action was incredibly low, now I have raised it just a bit so that I can really dig in when I slap. The only problems I had when it came to action were when the nut stopped working properly and the I could fit a thumb between the E string and the fingerboard. The neck does have a slight tendency to bend every change of seasons but that's what you get for living in a tropical climate. No other problems with the neck, nothing major, never had to go get it seasoned or something. The pickups were well balanced and gave a rich, full tone. When I first got my bass, the finish was flawless and incredible, reflective, even but over the past year it has been chipped, scratched and smudged. Now, I must admit, I am a rough player but i take care of my bass, especially in how I store it. My bass contained no flaws when I bought it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The bass can stand live playing but care has to be take, I've been playing live with it for the past year and the only issues I've had are, once again with the finish. The straplocks provide a great deal of security while you're playing and the strap buttons themselves are solid. The hardware is great but the knobs do have tendency to wear out and one of them has fallen out, had to get a replacement. // 8

Overall Impression: This is an incredible bass to experiment with because it has a great deal of variation especially because I haven't decided what kind of music I want to play. I've been playing for 6 years and have had Fenders and Ibanez basses. I use it through a Marshall MB15 at home. I do wish Warwick had better support and replacement parts were easily available. I would probably buy a 5/6 string if my bass were stolen now but if I had to buy a 4 string then yes definitely, the neck is incredible and has a great feel to it. I love it's incredible tone, the hardware could be better though and so could the equalizer. Before I bought this bass I was considering an ESP LTD D-4, the Ibanez SR300 and the Warwick Streamer Standard I bought this one for it's neck and the tone. I love this bass and it is probably better than all the others I've had. // 9

Comments