BB5 Review

manufacturer: Washburn date: 05/01/2008 category: Bass Guitars
Washburn: BB5
Washburn Bantam Basses feature basswood bodies with satin finishes. It comes with Soapbar pickups featuring active electronics which provide a wide range of tones for modern clean finger, pick & slap styles.
 8.5
 9.6
 7.4
 3,101
review (1) 7 comments vote for this gear:
BB5 Reviewed by: Fusanti_RHCP, on may 01, 2008

Features: The Washburn Bantam 5 String Bass normally includes active pickups, soapbar pickups, 24 frets, the Buzz Feiten Tuning system. Basswood body, Rosewood fingerboard, and a maple neck. I had to buy a case separately, but that wasn't a huge amount ($40 I think) The tuners stay well, only need adjusting it goes unused for a while. There is no pickup selector.Oh, and it is very heavy, I would say between 10-15 lbs. // 9

Sound: I try and play whatever I can get my hands on, but normally I go for a Justin Chancellor meets Flea type of tone. I am using the Eden Nemesis amp with it for gigs, and another Eden for practicing. I can get whatever sounds I want with this bass, I love it to death. I get a nice clean pop out of it. And when I occasionally play with my fingers, it gets a nice low end tone. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The only problem I can find really is that the knobs fall off easily, so I just don't bother putting them back on. Finish-wise, it has a great finish, I love the headstock, and the body type. Action was perfect when I got it, but during the Switch from fall to winter, it needs adjusting. Overall, almost perfectly set up. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have gigged with this baby about 4 times. And I play heavy, taking all my energy out on my bass. Everything seems solid so far. I drop it alot, although that is not an error of the bass, it is just my clumsiness. This is a tough as nails instrument, I have all my Faith in this thing. // 10

Overall Impression: The perfect bass. I have been playing since june of 2007, (not that long, but I know my stuff) and I plan on playing this bass for years to come. There is nothing to compare it to, I have yet to play such a perfect bass. It it was stolen etc., I would be amazed, because it never leaves my arms. I wish I had bought the 4 string though, as I don't find myself using the fifth string so much. // 10

Comments