T14 Review

manufacturer: Washburn date: 09/01/2006 category: Bass Guitars
Washburn: T14
These basses are pro level in every way, from the fine woods & finishes to the high quality components, you'll be stunned by what you can do on these instruments.
 Reliability & Durability: 6.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 8.2
 8.3
 14,499
reviews (2) 10 comments vote for this gear:
T14 Reviewed by: airborne_bg, on september 01, 2006

Features: The bass is made in 2006 in China. It has 24 frets. The neck is long scale, 34". The neck is maple with rosewood fingerboard. I have no idea what woods are used for the body, but I guess it's basswood. The finish is natural. It's equiped with passive electronics, P+J pickup configuration. There are 2 volume controls and a blend knob. The tuners are Washburn made. There was a cable inclded with the guitar. // 8

Sound: I play almost everything, but punk, and it suits all my tastes pretty well so far. Because of my little experience I cannot say is there a big or small variety of sounds I can achieve with this guitar. Given the circumstance it's a begginer bass, I would say that they aren't that much. I'm currently using no effects with it, but I plan to buy an Ibanez PD-7 bass overdrive, a Boss ODB-3 or a Hartke Bass Attack pedal to expand the tonal flexibility. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't think the action was perfect. It was kinda high. The intonation wasn't perfect, too. However with a little set up it became very comfortable to play. The pickups are well placed and are on the right distance from the strings, so they are not being hit when I slap or pop, or play fingerstyle. There weren'r any flaws on the finish, but now there are some scratches on the body. Probably the cause is my abuse of the instrument. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has withstood live playing. And it did it's work well. The hardware seem everlasting so far. The strap buttons are solid enough to carry the bass's weight. I could definately depend on my T14 and use it without backup. The finish however seem to be wearing off. It has plenty of scratches already after 3 months of (ab)use. // 7

Overall Impression: I play a wide variety of music-from Iced Earth to Queen to Jamiroquai and Jaco and this bass suits them pretty well. I've been playing for a year and a half and the only gear, other than the T14, I own is another bass guitar, which is very old, and compared to the Washburn, unplayable. If it were lost/stolen I could buy it again. It is the cheapest bass guitar in Bulgaria (170 EUR, 340 BGL). Even the Squire P-Bass is more expensive (400 BGL). I love almost everything about this guitar. I compared it to some Stagg bass and the Squire. I chose this because it was cheaper and more comfortable to play. I wish it had some sort of tone knob instead of the blend. // 10

T14 Reviewed by: WashBurn!, on may 19, 2006

Features: The T14 bass was made in China, but shipped to Vancouver & Quebec City for touch-ups and refinishings. Regular 4 strings, nice neck and appropriate number of frets. Basswood body and a maple neck. It's a chrome hardware as well. Bridge style is Tune-O-Matic. It also has 3 knobs (volume, tone, blend). With Die-cast tuners. // 8

Sound: You can use this bass with any kind of music, from jazz to hardcore. I'm using a 15 watt Crate amp with it. My amp is decent, makes some screechy noises at times. But it's overall good. The bass can make any sound I want it to make. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up perfectly. The pickups are awesome aswell as the bridge. Some flaws are: the twangy noises when the string brushes up against the bridge. But I guess that's normal. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The bass will withstand live playing and the amp probably won't last as long. The strap buttons are not that great. I've already dropped my bass twice. The bass will last, but I'm not sure about the amp. // 6

Overall Impression: I play a lot of rock/hardcore type of music, and it's a perfect match! I've only been playing for about 2 weeks now, but I'm getting better every single day. I love the sound it makes, but I don't like the weight of it. Overall, it's a sick bass. If you're a beginner and you wanna take up bass I suggest you get the Washburn T14. It's cheap, and an awesome beginner bass. // 8

Comments