XB102 Review

manufacturer: Washburn date: 06/24/2011 category: Bass Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Washburn: XB102
Has nice brights, but when you dip down, she gets angry. Not a wildly versatile bass, but with P/J pickups, you can do a lot with it.
 6.8
 9.4
 4.2
 6,365
review (1) pictures (6) 12 comments vote for this gear:
XB102 Reviewed by: ***Hydra***, on june 24, 2011

Purchased from: ebay

Features: - 2002 - Body Material = ALDER - Gloss top = Sunburst - Top Overlay = Yes - Binding = None - Scale = 34 inches - Number of frets = 20 - Nut width = 1.57 inches - Joining style = Bolt on - Joined at = 16th Fret - Neck material = Maple Natural Mat - Neck Depth-1st fret = 0.6 inch - Neck Depth-9th fret = 0.67 inch - Headstock Shape = Washburn XB Headstock: BLK Gloss - Headstock Binding = None - Headstock Graphic = XB102 - Logo Style Print = WH Logo "Washburn Bantam Series" - Radius = 15.75 inches - Passive P & J pickups // 9

Sound: Mmmm... Yum, Growly! Has nice brights, but when you dip down, she gets angry. I mostly play rock/metal. Occasional country. Not a wildly versatile bass, but with P/J pickups, you can do a lot with it. It suits my needs just fine. When I want warm, I get it. When I want bright, I find it. When I want growl, she growls. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this bass used off of ebay, from a studio owner who said this 2002 bass had less than 20 hours played on it. Looking at it, I believe him. It's still a warm, thick gloss, and the sunburst has a touch of violence to it. For a 2002 bass, this thing is a 9.5/10. Action and adjustments were made by ebay seller, and it is sweet. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This isn't a top-o'-the-line bass, but who gives a sh-t? We're not all pro-status. When this guitar came out in 2002, it sold for $400 USD. It's got fine balance, great tone, and at the very least, I'd use her as my backup. Solid build and tasty sustain, I could not ask for more. // 10

Overall Impression: I think she's beautiful. I named her Nephthys. She's got an amazing darkness to her edges, leading to a violent burst of Orange in the middle, with yellow streaks. The finish on her still looks new. She's gonna be around for a loooooong time. I got her for only $86.00 USD off ebay. Others on ebay are selling used for $300.00, now, so I got an insane deal. I would look into buying another, if she died. Get a Washburn XB102, if only as a backup. Your brain will be crushed and happy. // 10

Comments