XB400 review by Washburn

Washburn: XB400

Purchased from: Pawnshop

This Washburn XB400 was made in Korea, it has Asymmetrical Alder body and maple neck. 24 frets and 2 Washburn 941 Humbuckers (which do a great job of keeping sound clear) active pickups. Very clean and bright sound. Very clear. It has Red Quilted maple top. Nice and solid build. Very heavy duty bridge and "Grover designed" tuners. All nice and chrome. Very very comfortable neck. Thin but wide. Very forgiving. It had volume, balance, high and low controls. No middles for some reason, which was a minor annoyance.

As I said before, I play classical metal, mostly. With some power and thrash and gothic included (Deathstars). Used with Peavey and Fender amps. The sound is VERY bright and clear but very full and deep. It is not noisy at all, though pickups would get very sensitive on high volume. As is expected. However, I prefer sounds to be less bright. It works well for Iron Maiden and Judas Priest covers, less so for Black Sabbath and Helloween covers. I liked it a lot. It has some variety to it, but it was rather bright, even with heavier gauge strings.

I did NOT get it new, so it required set up and trust rod adjustment. The frets were in perfect order so did the bridge. Chrome was as shiny as day it left factory. The guitar came with few scuffs but it was used, so that's to be expected. Beautiful, beautiful guitar. Pickups had to be raised a bit. Bridge was perfect. Had absolutely no flaws. Beautiful, beautiful guitar. Controls, even though the bass was about 18 years old were tight and precise. The fit was perfect, nothing was loose, even control knobs which tend to get lost were original and no not cheap-o plastic but nice shiney metal. They just don't make them this way no more :-(

I had it for over a year. Played few gigs with it without backup. Though with spare battery :-). I liked it. It is very durable. Small bumps were not an issue for it. I even dropped it once when drunk on asphalt and it only received minor scratches. Very durable body and finish. This is NOT "composite body" solid wood. On body and neck. Solid strap buttons. Bridge is good enough to be used in tank transmission. Rock solid. Strap buttons were a bit on a small side, but were solid. I had to be a bit careful with them, but then again, you always should be careful with your bass. A+

For most of the music I play it is a good match. It compares very well to Ibanez SR500 which cost my dad 3 times what this old Washburn cost me. I tried it, liked it and bought it. In local Pawn Shop. For $150 tax included. In fact, I strongly prefer XB400 to any Ibanez, Yamaha or Squire I tried. I do not have this guitar, as I sold it to purchase a higher end Washburn. A Washburn force 4 ABT. Let's just say that with this two guitars Washburn has earn a very loyal customer in me. Even though I got a higher end Washburn Bass, I miss my XB400. And if I had a chance to buy another one for the price I paid for it, I would do so IN A SECOND. My favorite feature was VERY comfortable neck. My least favorite was that it was a bit too bright for me. Deep and bright sound. Like an old school chello. That was the ONLY problem it had.