B1000 review by Westfield

Westfield: B1000

Purchased from: Electro Music (Doncaster)

At the moment I only have a 10 watt practice amp which limits the sound of the bass, but when I tested the bass out in the shop on a bigger, better amp it sounded great.I mainly play punk and alternative/grunge music and to be honest I can't complain, even on a small shitty amp it still does the job and sounds half decent. As far as variety is concerned, with a few turns of some knobs you can go from a really deep warm crushing sound to a real high, punchy, kick in the face sound. Similar to that of Mike Dirnt for e.g. and everything in between. You just can't complain really. Especially for the price.

I play punk/alternative/grunge or whatever you wanna label it. This bass stands up great to these styles. I can't remember how long I've played bass but I think its been about 2 years since I bought my first one. If this bass was stolen I probably wouldn't go out of my way to find the same brand and model again, I would just buy the best bass I could afford in the shop at the time. I love the value for money of this bass, because lets face it, most instruments in this price range are unplayable pieces of shit but this one is very good for the money, if you had to guess you would think it to be in the 200 - 250 range. I don't hate anything about this bass to be honest. Its not completely perfect 10/10 but its not hate-able. It's actually really good.

I think this bass is a perfect bass for playing live, it was cheap so you don't have to worry about it getting stolen or damaged as much as you would, say, a Fender or a Gibson, it sounds great, it's practically bullet proof, which is essential if your in the punk/hardcore scene and it looks cool as sh-t. I think its pretty dependable and I would gig with it without another bass. I think the strap buttons need replacing for bigger ones but other than that its all good. I think the finish would stand up to a few years of hard playing before it showed some scars.

When I got the bass the first thing I did was lower the action because it was quiet high. The pick-up wasn't set up properly and was way to low so I had to adjust that to. The nut is cut perfect and the tuners are super tight, the neck is set perfectly and the bridge is solid. The wood seems to be quality and I couldn't find any imperfections anywhere on the guitar. The strap nuts are solid but are a little small which scares me because I keep thinking its gonna fall off the strap so I will probably be replacing those, other than that it's all good.

Not sure what year this bass was made but at a guess probably in the last 5 years and was more than likely made in Asia somewhere. It has 20 frets on a maple fret board, the neck is quite wide and is very comfortable to play. The neck is maple and finished with a thin gloss which makes for a fast playing neck. The body is styled after a Fender Precision Bass and is finished in a glossy purple, with a black pick guard. The controls are simple, one tone knob and one volume knob. The pick-up is a super 500 and the tuners are stock but are still great. The bass came with no accessories just a receipt.

JustPhil
    There's a shop on eBay selling pink ones for 50 new. Grabbed one for myself, there's some positives and negatives. + Bass heavy tone, expected from a p-bass copy. + Tone knob is very responsive and effectively cuts out treble as it's rolled down. + Feels solid and is comfortable to play. - The frets are mostly fine but there's a few sharp ones on mine. - Boat loads of feedback as soon as I touch my OD pedal, definitely needs shielding.