B4000 review by Westfield

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
Westfield: B4000

Purchased from: Backalleymusic

I play mostly rock, and this bass suits me well pretty well. I'm playing through a Stagg 20W BA, and it sounds really good. The pickups, although cheap, sound very nice and there is no unwanted noise from them. It has a nice rounded sound to it, and the lows come out really well if you've played around with an EQ. Whether I'm slapping, or using a plec, this bass never lets me down. However, when I use distortion with this guitar, it unfortunately falls flat on it's face, which is annoying when I'm playing Live, because all you can hear is noise.

As I said earlier, I play mostly rock, and this guitars suits me fine. I used to own a Stagg XB300, which got stolen, so I bought the Westfield, and I don't regret it. If the Westfield was stolen, I would happily buy another one! The thing I love the most are the pickups, which sound, I think, better than some of the more expensive basses. I just wish it had 24 frets!

When I play Live, I use a Ibanez EDB 550, because it sounds better. However, I would happily use the Westfield Live. I've been playing this bass for about 2 hours a day for nearly a year, and everything is pretty much the same as it was when I bought it. The strap buttons are solid, but I put locks on anyway. The finish is excellent. I've knocked it into walls, doors etc and there are no marks on the guitar. I would happily gig without a backup.

The guitar was set up very well from the factory, but the shop I bought it from tweaked it for me, by lowering the action, but that's just me. The pickups didn't need adjusting, becuase they were fine. Everything was properly routed, and, thakfully, there were no flaws. The strings that came from the factory weren't the best, so I swapped them for some flatwounds!

Not sure when it was made, but I think it's made in Japan. It has 20 medium frets on a maple neck/rosewood fingerboard. It has a solid hardwood body, laminated, with a triple ply stratchboard. I got the natural version, but a black and white version is available. It has two passive single coil pickups, and 4 inline open back non-locking tuners. It also has two volume and one tone chrome rotary controls.

giacobe1
    I've got this guitar it works pretty well, it's a great beginner guitar.