RBX270J review by Yamaha

Yamaha: RBX270J

Purchased from: Ebay UK

The split, and single coil pick-ups give the bass, without touching amp settings at all, a wide variety of different tones. It lives up to all the different genres of music I throw at it, and does it with ease. With the 270j, you can dial in just about any tone you want, and it will sometimes even sound as good, if not better than Mexican Jazz's, and they cost up to 3, 4 and even 5 times as much. By turning the J pick-up all the way, and the P pick-up to half, you get a nice punchy tone that can be slapped perfectly, and it works as well with finger-style playing. By maxing-out both, you get a nice smooth Jazz or Blues style finger-style tone. By maxing the P pickup, and halving the J, you get an unbelievably crisp pick-style tone. The only drawback for its sound I'd say is that it does hum a little when your fingers aren't touching the strings.

I play all styles of music, and use all techniques to play, and the Yamaha RBX 270j can make all of them sound a dream. I personally don't own any other equipment, because I'm not exactly made of money, but I play my cousins American Jazz, and he himself, being a bassist for 18 or so years say this lives up to his Jazz. My amplification was my dads, and he's had it since when he used to gig in the 80's, and it was my Grandad's before that so you can imagine how old it is. It's a Carlsbro Marlin 6 PA connected to a Carlsbro speaker, and the bass sounds amazing with it. If the bass were to ever fail on me, or if it was stolen, I'd definatley buy it again, however it would be good to try a range of Bass's too. I love pretty much everything about it. The only things I dislike is the hum it gives, and it's action out of the factory. My favourite feature for it would have to be it's neck. I actually prefer playing it to some basses over 800. Its thin and a dream to play.

The guitar seems like it has plenty of years of its life left at the moment. It has been dropped plenty of times, and the body doesn't even seem to dent. I take it to school, so you can imagine what it goes through there. The only cosmetic problems the guitar has at the moment is that the headstock has been chipped slightly at the top. Even close up it's barely visible. Strap buttons are firmly in place, not even moving a touch and I can DEFINATLEY depend on the guitar. The reliability of the guitar + it's excellent tone = a dream to play, and if I was gigging, I could trust it more than enough not to fail on me, and would take it without a backup. Excellent. Pretty much perfect.

The guitar was near-to perfect when I received it. The only flaw it had was the action was just a fraction too high. (that rhymed.) Everything about the bass 2 1/2 months down the line is still perfect. The finish has no flaws in it at all, all the hardware is still firmly in place and everything is still working brilliantly.

This bass is a Japanese model made sometime in the mid-2000's. It is a four string model. It features the basic's you would expect in its price range. It has 24 frets, on a Rosewood fretboard. The neck itself is a 34" bolt-on maple neck. The neck is thin, and unvarnished, which gave it an extremely smooth feel, and made it extremely easy to play. The body is a solid Alder body, in a custom Yamaha shape. I personally, am a huge fan of the design, it's small body makes it incredibly light, and the double-cutaways make it really easy to really hit them high-notes. The bass features split-coil and single-coil passive pick-ups, presumably Yamaha's own brand. All hardware is chrome. (tuners, bridge.) The bass has three knobs. One master volume, and the other two to control the volume of the pick-ups. The bass came well packaged, and came with a cheap cable, that has now passed away after about 2 and a half months. Overall, basic, however, the bass does feel like it has years upon years of life in it.

Raizer Sabre
    hmm, i tried one of these in a shop and quite liked how it felt and sounded, i like the thin neck compared to my affinity p bass but reading the reviews have now given me concerns over long term use :\
    wajdonimo
    i had the 250 and now i have it 3 monthes and with ultra bass it sondes orgasmic so go and buy it but u need a good amp to feel that power