RBX374 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: RBX374

This bass is incredibly playable for any style. I mainly play funk, slap and rock (e.g. Red Hot Chili Peppers, guns n roses and primus) but when I was first introduced to this bass by my bass teacher he showed me how versatile it was. The 24 fret neck really compliments the basses' versatility; it means you can play a great range of tones in virtually every style. I play this through a Roland Bass-Cube 30 which has onboard effects and compression. This bass can be noisy if you hit the top of a fret but that is only a very minor thing.

The style I play goes perfectly with this bass as would any other style with the possible exception of death metal. I haven't been playing bass for that long about 3 months now so I don't have much to compare it to except the Squier Jazz Bass and the Ibanez SR300FM which it easily beat. If it were stolen I would definitely get another one. The only thing I could want more is better strap buttons. But if you're looking for a bass of amazing value and great quality consider this bass.

I haven't played Live at all but I'd say this could withstand a Live gig but a would definitely recommend you bring another bass with you as backup. As with most Yamaha's you get the impression that the hardware will outlive you. I'm a bit clumsy so I always hit the bass against something when I pick it up but it hasn't shown up on the woodwork or even scraped the finish off a bit and it certainly has effected the sound or hardware. The strap buttons are a problem though, my strap falls off very frequently.

This bass has quite a good factory setup but for people Who play a lot of slap bass, the pickups are a bit raised but that can easily be adjusted. When I first got this bass (at Christmas 2006) the treble control put up a bit of a fight but as I used more the controls do not give as much as hassle as before.

I have no idea when or where this was made, sorry. It has a 34" maple neck and a 24 fret, rosewood fingerboard which is useful for soloing. It has a solid alder body and black finish but you can also get it in flat silver and red. It has an unusual body shape but feels great to play. Controls include master volume, pan-pot pickup selector and a 2-band EQ. it has active electronics which runs on a 9v battery. This bass has really good natural sounding humbucking pickups. the only negatives I could find were that it needs tuning quite often and eats up 9v batteries in no time. Overall though amazing value and great features

Jacko-Twisted
    I baught one for only 280 and it is amazing for a bass that low a price range. It sounds brilliant and feels so natural and comfy for a 24 fret bass. the finish does get knocked off easy (I got mine in black so scratches and dings are show up easy) but nothing will effect the sound. apart from having no battery power. the most under-rated basses to be made. ever. it is just that good, i cant find anything bad to say about it, apart from that the finish chips off fairly easy. Thats it, superficial crap that doesnt reallly affect the bass at all. So worth investing in.
    AlexBRFC
    Got the rbx374 at the end of 2006 for 220. It's an absolutely awesome guitar, and sounds ace playing any style (I play rock/indie/pop/reggae/funk/blues anything and it sounds great). Definitely reccommend!
    sponboy666
    I just got this bass arouund 6 months ago maybe for 94.00, OMFG?! The wonders of e-bay, and its in perfect condition, the only bass i would buy after this is a pedulla, or maybe rickenbacker, anyone wonderig, this is an amazing choice to play!
    p town massive
    For the price alone its worth looking at but once you get your personal set-up right on it, its a badass - Leo Quan style.