RBX374 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: RBX374

Price paid: € 360

Purchased from: Ragtime Poland

Since I'm mostly a guitar player, I play through a guitar amp, a Roland Cube 60. I often change my style, because I'm just a bedroom player, but this bass suits me well. One day I want to play some Hendrix basslines, the next day I want to be Steve Harris. I Jam most of the time, but whatever I feel like playing, I can always find a good sound from this beauty. On fresh strings it sounds amazing. No noise/hum. Very good bass for someone that needs to change their sound often and doesn't want to drag 10 guitars to a gig. You can get any tone, even a very convincing jazz bass sound.

I play from blues to hard rock, and very rarely old style metal. It's great. I don't think I'll ever need a better bass. I've been playing bass for 1, 5 years now, but I've played guitar for 4 years before that, I also own an Epiphone embassy V, which I bought after the Yamaha, wanting a 5-string, but it just sits in the corner, since it's just an ugly block of heavy wood compared to my RBX374. If it was stolen/lost I'd cry for months until I could buy a new one. Definitely an instrument that's impossible to replace, you just don't get this value with other companies. I compared it to a lot of other 2 humbucker basses, and this one just beat them all, even ones that cost twice as much. I have compared it to a MIJ Fender Jazz Bass, and this one is better for me.

It will withstand anything, really. Unfortunately, the hardware really wears off from sweat, but that's just a cosmetic thing, no effect on playability. I'd use it on a gig without a backup, battery lasts very long also. Solid Strap Buttons, nothing is loose, however I do need to get straplocks for this beauty, as straps tend to fall off. It is very VERY light, I don't feel it hanging from my shoulder, unlike other guitars I own. Finish is very solid, but if you scratch it or bump it hard it will leave a scar.

Great set up with good strings straight from the box. Well done, Yamaha, I'm convinced. Everything was set up great, for standard .45 - .100 roundwound strings. Later I put .55 - .110 strings on it, and had to adjust the neck a little bit, but that's obviously not the guitar's fault. Absolutely no Flaws, and it's just perfect to play. Love it.

Made in China, 2008. 34 inch Scale, maple bolt-on neck with a rosewood fingerboard, 24 frets. Sparkling DOG (Dark oriental green) Finish, looks really great, took it over a red one, I think the top is Solid. It's an original body style, but it's very comfortable finish. 4 Control knobs (Volume, Bass boost/cut, Pickup Blend, Treble boost/cut). Active Yamaha Electronics, very good pickups. The pickups are shaped so that they have a thumb rest, which is a really nice feature when you're playing for a long time, especially I'd expect slap players to love this feature. Two Humbuckers. Yamaha tuners. They stay in tune, you can play it every day for two hours, and they won't go out of tune for a very long time, honestly they keep in tune for weeks. No included accesories, only the keys and the instructions.

karlshire
    Hi,I have a couple of questions.how long should the battery last?Iwas told about a year,its drained after a few weeks.Also are you supposed to take the battery out when u are not using it?
    PRSfanatic
    Guys, forget my comment about it being better than any fender Jazz bass, the one I played was messed up. I've now played many other fender JB's and own a MIM deluxe active myself... they're a million times better, although the yamaha is still a great bass.