RBX374 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: RBX374

Purchased from: Gear4Music.com

The bass is extremely versatile, and feels comfortable playing anything from Jamiroquai to Pantera. I use a Marshall MB30, and it makes a great sound, although I do get some buzz at relatively low levels (although that might well be my leads). You can shape the sound easily, either by using the pot-pan or the EQ, and you can produce a great range of sound. Some buzz from the frets if you play too hard, but that may be to do with the action.

I play a lot of different styles, and it generally suits them well (although I have no other bass to compare it to). I've been playing self-taught, and have recently moved on to Dream Theater stuff, and that makes me wish I'd opted for the RBX375 (5-String) instead; at only 20-30 more than the RBX374, I'd go for that instead of this. If it were stolen, I'd definitely try another bass; this one is getting worn down, and I've looking at a Schecter Stiletto Custom-5 for a long time now...

The hardware seems like it will last for a long time (although my only real comparison is a 2004 Squier P-Bass, which is frankly junk), but I'm not sure I'd use it at a gig without backup: the strap buttons are not fantastic (the strap does often come off while I'm playing), and my playing might well mean broken strings during a gig. The paintwork is also quite thin and easy to dent and scratch, even with a pick.

The action was too low for my liking, but I prefer to have a higher action, and is easy to change. I've made no changes to the pickups, but everything was in perfect working order right from it's arrival. No noticeable errors in production when it arrived, although since then the external hardware has oxidised noticeably: not great for a year's playing. The attachment of the neck isn't great either, it looks awkward and slightly askew.

Bolt-on construction, 34" scale, maple neck, 10" rosewood fretboard. 24 frets. Die-cast bridge and 2 humbucker pickups powered by a 9V battery. 2-band EQ and Pan-Pot. Made in China. Good quality for the price paid in early 2010. For a bass this cheap, it does come with a lot of good features.