RBX374 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: RBX374

Purchased from: Second Hand

You can just get any sound out of this. It's great for slap and pop, and really great for fingering, with the thumbrests. I can get from straight down jazz and funk to hardcore metal with this bass, it's so versatile. I use it with an Ashdown Five Fifteen, which gives it a really warm sound, and for distortion I use a Boss OS/2. Completely silent bass even when turned up all the way. Get a decent set of strings on this bass and it will sing your basslines loud and clear.

Overall this is a great bass. One of the best I have played. Only flaws is that the pickups could be easier to adjust, and that the neck could be slightly thinner, but this doesn't bother me.

Battery doesn't go too often, it seems to be great for live playing with its' huge sound, and it can withstand a few knocks before the paint comes off. Depend on it for sure, just not without a battery.

No flaws with the action and finish, haven't had to change it, although I had to lower the pickups which actually prove difficult, as I was hitting the open pickup poles when I slapped. Apart from this, all of the hardware seems great. The neck is just one of the best I have played on, the smooth black finish on the back, it's really nice. The neck is quite large at 10", but it's very playable.

This bass is a China 2003 model, looking from the serial number. It's got 24 frets, of which all are usable, due to the huge cutaway. The body is quite a heavy alder, and the neck is maple, with a smooth rosewood fretboard, which is a treat to play on. The finish a deep red, and this whole bass seems to be Yamaha's take on the MusicMan stingray. The pickups are Yamaha active pickups with a thumbrest which is really comfortable to play on. The preamp is active, and you can get any array of sounds from it, from a P-Bass to a jazz bass. You get a Pickup control, blending the two together, a bass boost/cut and a treble boost/cut, as well as master volume. All of the controls have a nice defined indent when they hit the middle. This bass stays in tune forever.

MaggaraMarine
    campbed_2000 wrote: i no this has nothing to do with this, but i must keep to some of the narrowminded people on UG, IVE GOT ONE WORD FOR YOU< DRAGONFORCE!! EVRYONE ELSE SUCKS!!
    And whattahell is this guy talking about, I know, an old post but still. (Seems like he has played guitar hero 3.) Dragonforce is only shredding and shredding. But it's not even the fastest. If you want fast then watch Francesco Fareri "Suspension". That's something I call mindless shredding.
    imtiaz3
    I have mixed feelings about this bass, for that I am selling mine. It taught me well as my first bass. For starters, the sound, the active controls I find do not shape the tone as much as I'd like. The sound comes out very clear, sharp and loud, and sometimes way too loud. With the way I play, I tend to have the strings hit the magnet on the pickup and it makes a nasty distorted sound, sometimes this is ok but generally it's too loud and just doesn't sound good to me, it makes it really difficult to play for me and I try to adjust my playing but then I don't get into it as much. My Ibanez SR405 is a much quieter bass that I find more versatile, and it has a mid control! Now for the positives, this bass is absolutely beautiful, I have mine in red and man I love the way it looks... I will miss that about the bass.