RBX775 review by Yamaha

Yamaha: RBX775

Price paid: C$ 400

Purchased from: Steve's Music

This bass suits both my styles of Jazz and Metal. I can play smooth melodies or pump out aggressive trebbly tones from it. This bass was my first fretless and it plays pretty nice. It has that growly tone you look for in a fretless but can also get that finger attack of a fretted too. The settings on it are easy to change on the fly too, with a pickup and active/ passive switch. So you can change tones between solos and riffs ect. I am playing it through a Line 6 Low Down, 300 watt. So it gets pretty loud. I have 4 chanels, a Agressive treble one for metal, a bassy one also for metal, a distortion channel and a Jazzy Jaco channel. It sounds pretty good on all of them, except on the Treble channel it gets kinda gainy on the bridge pickup.

For Jazz and for Metal, this bass rocks. It can play those jazzy Jaco type lines and still be able to pound out agressive raw tones or a DiGiorgio type tone for Death Metal stuff. I've been playing for about 3 years now and I also own a ESP F-254 and a Line 6 300 watt amp. I also own a crappy no name guitar and a piano and flute. I love most of all the fact that its fretless and 5 string. Those are 2 things I've wanted for a while and I never thought I'd get both in one. Also the pickup switch was an added bonus. The only thing I don't like is the electronics, they're kinda unstable at times. I compared this to some of the other basses there: There was some low end ESPs an Ibenez and a Schecter that I was looking at. This one was the best price and it was fretless so that's the main reason I chose this one. This bass pretty much has everything I could ask for other than some laser pointers and maybe a DVD Drive. But keeping It realistic I would like to have a EQ on it for more tone shaping, but it already has quite a bit. If I ever lost this bass I'm not sure if I'd get the same one at full price. There's a good chance I would but I might experiment a bit too.

This Bass seems pretty durable as far as frame and structure. I'm sure it could withstand a lot. However the hardware doesn't seem the same. The pickup Switch was a loose when I got it and I tried tightening it but its still kinda wobbly. The strap has come off a few times but that might be the strap, I'm not sure. Also it screeches some times because of the input jack.

The Bass was not very well set up at first. Even though it was fretless I still got, lets call it fretboard buzz at the lower frets. It was easy to raise the action though. The pickups were all wired right and perfect distance away from the strings. The bass did have a few problems, since it is used. There were string marks on the fretboard in places and a dent on the back. The pickup Switch wasn't screwed on all the way. Stuff like that. Other than that pretty good.

I got the fretless version of this bass and it had some pretty good features. It has 24 not-frets (cause its fretless). It was 35" scale maple neck with rosewood fingerboard with fret markers. The body wood is alder. The finish was a transparent I believe and the body style is modern rock. The bridge style is a diecast bridge, and the hardware on mine is black. The pickups are active but with an active passive Switch. The other electronics and controls are a Volume, Tone, and pickup Switch, which is something I've wanted for a while. The pickups are Neck and Bridge and are both Yamaha. The tuners are grover.