Exit 420 review by -Itis

-Itis: Exit 420

This Colorado Springs based hard rock, power pop act has overtones of 311, Foo Fighters and Faith No More. Stand out tracks are the powerful Pantera-ish groove of One Hit Wonder as well as power pop song Wasting Together. This is a guitar-driven band pushed by string master Craig Soderberg who has also played in another band called Shockhead in the mid-'90s with former 24-7 Spyz drummer, Joel Maitoza. Craig's hook ladin grooves push and pull the songs into tasty works of art that only a professional musician could pull off. Sound quality of the disk could be better, but is by far superior than many CDs put out by some of the major labels today.

Overall the lead vocals remind me a bit of Mike Patton from Faith No More, but a little more current. Many catchy hooks on most of the chorus sections with King's X meets Beatles background harmonies. Could have done without the last track titled Azz Go Boom. The band covers many styles of music well and does not need a rap track to complete this record.

Love the reggae feel in Hey Mom, Yeah I Smoke Pot and the King's X vibe on Under the Table. With 10 CDs recorded to date (according to their website), I feel this is the strongest release out of the six I own. Can't wait to see them on tour to see how they pull some of this stuff off live.