Division review by 10 Years

• Released: May 13, 2008
10 Years: Division

Back in 2005 Knoxville natives 10 Years made a lasting impression on the rock charts with it's single Wasteland, and it's likely that the band will likely find itself with at least a few hit singles on the new album Division. Much like Breaking Benjamin and Chevelle, 10 Years has an accessible sound that should reach a wide audience, but they also tend to be a little more daring at times. Division has more going for it than just being a single machine, and at times the band laughs in the face of Billboard charts by adding in several minutes of acoustic guitar or piano solos. Division is a little hard to figure out at times, simply for the fact that you'll get a heavy helping of both laid-back, dark tunes and straightforward rock tracks. In terms of instant hits, the opening track Actions and Motives should be considered a sure-thing for airplay. With a cool bass intro, thought-provoking lyrics (Bear the cross; Wear the crown; There's just some evil you can't bleed out; Hell has to notice your Actions and Motives) and a catchy chorus, the track stands out immediately. The only other rock song on the album that comes close to being as memorable is All Your Lies, which features an incredible, sonic-sounding riff. If you like rich guitar tones in your music, check out All Your Lies. At the opposite end of the spectrum are several songs that ooze melancholy. These particular tracks at times lean toward the sound of A Perfect Circle, but then eventually become completely unique entities when they strip down all of the instrumentation. The closing track Proud Of You is a haunting, quiet song that features basically just the vocals of Jesse Hasek and a subdued piano backing him up. Some female singers heard faintly in the background enter into the picture toward the end, setting a very eerie mood. The band actually finds it's niche when it creates pieces like these, which don't rely on layer upon layer to make it stand out.

Most every song has at least some interesting lyrical aspect, and at times the lyrics actually stand out more so than the music underneath. Actions and Motives was mentioned earlier, but the single Beautiful has perhaps an even timelier theme dealing with Hollywood's celebrity royalty. Hasek sings, Visually you're stimulating to my eyes; Your Cinderella syndrome's full of lies; Your insecurities are concealed by your pride; Pretty soon your ego will kill what's left inside. The song puts an introspective take on the Hollywood fluff that comes out of TMZ.

There are a few lackluster tracks on Division, but 10 Years has written enough quality material to ensure that their fan base will grow. There are quite a few songs on the album that will attract airplay, but that doesn't mean that 10 Years has completely had to compromise their creative impulses in the meantime. Those creative urges usually have to do with lengthy piano solos, so that's just a word of caution. In the end, 10 Years does deserve credit for taking chances on stripped-down, instrumental moments that are obviously done for the sake of the song alone.

+}-136-{+
    __Ronnie__
    Seymore190
    I really enjoyed the Autumn Effect, and I've been looking forward to hearing this one. Sounds like I should get it right away.
    utahotc
    An excellent listen. 10 Years have grown so much musically. Definitely a 9/10 for me.
    AmplifySilence
    Yeah. They have matured. THe Autumn Effect was a great album. And so was this one. They really are a great band.
    greowe
    Excellent disc! Emotional music with lyrics worth listening to. A 9/10 in my book!
    Neon D-von
    +}-136-{+ wrote: Dark melodies, catchy choruses, acoustic interludes, and piano solos? Sounds like my kind of stuff.
    Dude it's so good...seriously, check it out. This is my favorite album of 2008 so far.
    __Ronnie__ wrote: This album is great. Much better than The Autumn Effect IMO, and that album was amazing. Actions & Motives, Just Can't Win, Beautiful, Dying Youth, Russian Roulette, Drug Of Choice, All Your Lies and Scream At The Walls (an extra song from the Best Buy version) are all awesome songs. I'd give this album a 9/10.
    [quote] yeah, pretty sure you about nailed it, better than Autumn Effect, which was a great album as well. I'd give it a 9/10 also.
    Covin
    It's not as ambient/atmospheric as The Autumn Effect, nor as heavy, but it's still an above-par-album. I'm glad I bought it.
    wiel-e-waal
    can some one put a good tab of so long goodbye on ug please Am- C- G- Am for the chorus thank you 10 years division album of 2008 !!!!
    MCRkid22
    I loved the last album. It was really different. I haven't heard it yet, but hopefully this new one will be just as good.
    HighPotency
    Its pretty good but i prefer the Autumn Effect. If you like tool or a perfect circle, the Autumn Effect is a good album to start with.
    Rebotco
    Division shows a lot of musical growth for 10 Years. Killing All That Holds You was a good start and I thought that TAE was a pretty good album. But Division blows them out of the water. The songs are all very good and very catchy. There are only 2 songs on the album that I don't like. "Alabama" dosent really go anywhere and "Focus" isn't my cup of tea. Otherwise you can't go wrong with this album. Like everyone said earlier there are some cool acoustic parts that give the album a less commercial feel. If I absolutly had to pick a favorite track it would be "Russian Roulette" Even if you havent heard of 10 Years you definitly should check this album out. It's great new music, period. 9/10 (I don't see how anyone could really dislike Division.)