Feeding The Wolves review by 10 Years

• Released: Aug 31, 2010
10 Years: Feeding The Wolves

Although some interviews indicated that the fourth studio album from Knoxville, Tennessee, band 10 Years would deliver heavier material than ever before, the latest material still is tailor-made for radio airplay. There are certainly moments where there might be aggressive, chugging guitars or the tempo taken up a notch, but for the most part Feeding The Wolves doesn't stray too far out of 10 Years' comfort zone. That's not to say that the quartet is lacking as far as writing a straightforward rock song goes. To the contrary, the record is jam-packed with likable, memorable choruses that often get stuck in your head immediately. One of the most striking aspects of Feeding The Wolves is the amazing depth you'll hear in the vocals. This is a trademark of producer Howard Benson, who was brought in to help out 10 Years with the latest album, and he doesn't disappoint. Vocalist Jesse Hasek delivers amazing harmonies on pretty much every chorus and that quality alone takes each of the 12 tracks to another level. Without that attention to detail in the studio and to the overall tracking, some of the songs might come across as a bit lackluster. The opener Shoot It Out certainly includes a memorable chorus, but it verges on being a bit spastic. Of course, you have to give kudos to the band for attempting to tweak the time signature a bit within the middle of the chorus (and then take it back again to the original time). It might scream original and inventive to some listeners out there, but it just seemed a bit too chaotic particularly with the repeated line, Shoot it, shoot it up, cause they want it, want it now, now. The Wicked Ones also utilizes some repeating lyrics, but its smoother approach musically is easier on the ears. 10 Years does a solid job at writing big, emotional ballads/mid-tempo tracks that crescendo. Because Hasek has such a wide vocal range, there are quite a few choruses that just explode as the song develops. Elsewhere, One More Day and I Blame You take a more stripped-down approach with only acoustic and vocals coloring a good part of the first sections. Fix Me could also be construed as a mellower offering, but it takes more of the power ballad route. That term isn't meant to discount the song at all, as it's one of the most powerful and heartfelt offerings on the CD.

The topics are fairly broad on Feeding The Wolves, with the band delving into typical love talk to religious undertones. The bulk of the material revolves around relationships, and while there isn't anything too out of the ordinary, listeners should be able to relate to the songs. Whether Hasek is reminiscing about a past love in Don't Fight It (Memories stuck in my head; All the things I should have said; If I fall back into you; Don't fight it) or addressing naysayers in Fix Me (I'm fine in the fire; I feed on the friction; I'm right where I should be), there is a relatable quality to it all.

10 Years hasn't produced anything groundbreaking with Feeding The Wolves, but the record does have the accessible factor going for it. There are enough memorable choruses and catchy melodies that it should have plenty of viable singles. The band does deliver a few key standout moments, particularly Ryan Tater Johnson's wah solo in Waking Up The Ghost and the pseudo religious chants heard in Dead In The Water. While those tracks might be too out of the ordinary to get scooped up by radio stations, 10 Years deserves to explore territory that's a little dangerous or creatively fresh in the future.

AJL20
    You can do better than this. They lyric to "Shoot It Out" is definitely not "shoot it up". Though I will give you some credit for being brave enough to say that you think the solo in "Waking Up The Ghost" is a wah pedal... on a guitar site, no less.
    strat0blaster
    Good to hear a more polished version of Silhouette of a Life as well. And actually five albums - Into The Half Moon, Killing All That Holds You, The Autumn Effect, Division, and this one.
    NaytronA7X
    I was expecting this album to be much heavier because of said interviews from the past but I'm so glad it wasn't. I think they have an original sound and I think they should just stick with what they know. The acoustic track for Fix Me is probably the one I've listened to the most. Don't Fight It and Fade Into (The Ocean) are probably the next 2.
    Slayton101
    Slimjim5792 wrote: EvilAngel93 wrote: I have to wonder how much of the album actually got listened to by the listener. Fade Into The Ocean is absolutely incredible, I almost thought I was listening to Tool for a moment. Ha! I thought I was the only one that heard Tool in fade into the ocean. Cool. The album isn't too bad but also isn't great in my opinion. However, Brian Vodinh mentioned in an interview that Fade into the ocean was his favorite song from the new album. If that is any indication that they might go that way with the next album I'd be happy. I think that might be my favorite song that they have, across all their albums.
    Ya, in "Fade Into (The Ocean)" there are time changes in there, and that's something that 10 years isn't known for, as well as a musical structure that isn't verse - chorus - verse - chorus - bridge, like most of their other songs. 10 Years fans would be smart to recognize this as the bands most difficult and thoughtful song to date. Which shows that they did progress. I happily await the next CD.
    Slimjim5792
    Slayton101
    This is a very solid album. As people mention there is nothing new here, and sounds like an extension to previous albums, but that isn't a bad thing. Another cd I can listen to start to finish. Overall I think 7/10 is a very appropriate rating for this cd.
    fcukyoufirefly
    I haven't really heard much from this album, but I love Shoot It Out. It's great! Nice review dude.
    Shor-T Zero
    I don't know why "Shoot It Out" is so addicting, but it is. Can't stop listening. Really thinking about purchasing.
    Dreadknut
    Thats not to say that the quartet is lacking as far as writing a straightforward rock song goes.
    I'm going to pull you up that the band is a "quintet" - 5 members. Not 4, which is known as a "quartet".
    Patrijz
    fret13 wrote: I am glad to see good bands sticking to their roots and to this reviewer the, erm, "comfort zone?" Sure you all can complain that it sounds just like the last two albums with little change to it but personally, I like a band better that decides NOT to experiment new sounds *coughlinkinparkcough* and keep releasing the kind of music that the fans know and love them for.
    I hear you! Though I do like experimenting within the same sound. Like Fade Into (The Ocean) a lot too because of this. Wish LinkinPark would have made a more original approach to there native sound, instead of switching to something hollow and emty like MtM...
    EvilAngel93
    strat0blaster
    Yes it is heavier than most things they've done since Killing All That Holds You, and this has never been an 'aggressive' band, and I definitely say that suggesting this album was 'tailor made' for radio play is wrong as well. Sorry. I agree with a lot of reviews on here, but this isn't one of them.
    fret13
    villageidiot14
    ten year first, wasteland and through the iris, are beautiful, creative songs, man. the band has something unique about them. the closest band to relate them to [to me anyway] would be Tool and they still really don't even sound like them. this album is definitely somewhat heavier. but it's fresh.
    styxfan226
    i was a bit skeptical when i first heard shoot it out but after listening to the whole thing i was happy with it
    Alpha_Wolf
    I thought The Autumn Effect was a great album... I really loved how their music had a dark and sad feel to it. Now Division... I don't know. It just didn't feel the same to me. Maybe I just didn't listen to it enough, I don't know. But I wonder how this album sounds.
    metalslayer09
    I really love ten years and the new album is pretty good, nothing special, but I really think they could have done a lot more on this album. they seemed to have regressed a bit since the autumn effect
    Caboose911
    I actually like it, yes it does sound like a lot other bands, and yes this review is ****king dumb as hell, but besides that it's actually a really good album. they have a little special something that makes them good. I like it.
    incubosity
    I will have to say you've got some holes in your review. Speaking of nothing being "groundbreaking," I believe your review wont overwhelm any critics, at least from a critical point. It does make you seem like you half-assed it when you dont get the lyrics right and you dont know the difference between a wah and a talk box.....hmmmmm
    vontuff
    just heard all their songs in their myspace. The band is OK, nothing crazy and sounds a lot like bands out there.
    talia.
    I felt the same way when I first heard it! I think it might just be my favorite song off of the album. They did a really good job with it.